Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Wed May 30, 2012, 05:55 AM

Cool How Many Shots of Vidaza Per Visit?

I just finished my second round of Vidaza. In the first round I was given my dosage of 150mg in two shots, one on each arm, or one on either side of my belly. I tolorated it well, although I had discomfort from the shots for days. For my second round they started giving me three shots instead of the two. So thats seven more punctures over the same period which just increases the discomfort. I asked why the three shots, and one nurse said the pharmacy tech had begun to put it in three syringes. She said he told her it was sort of thick so that's why he did it.

I called Celgene, the manufacturer, and also looked on their website. The say to just use the two shots.

I will start my third round in about two weeks and will tell my doc I want just two shots per visit.

Have any of you had your treatment broken into three shots?
Old Wed May 30, 2012, 07:27 PM

Hi Rich...Vidaza is a very thick compound, we have always have had 2 needles only....we have the nurse put the needle between her hands and rub it for 1 min, just like you would warm your hands if they are cold...Vidaza is only good for 45 min...get yourself some Primrose Oil gel caps and as soon as the needles are out break open a couple of caps and put the oil on the sight...it is runny so have a paper towel handy...and do this 2 more times during the day...this has kept the nasty marks away.
How are your counts been...
Old Wed May 30, 2012, 08:31 PM

HGB Counts

They vary from high 9nines hemo down to 8.4. Anything under 8 he orders 2 units of blood. Tomorrow I'll get two. My other counts fly all over the place since I started this. I have an online source with all my info, and may copy some of the more important counts and post them to compare with other folks.

I know they warm the vidaza, but I'll remind them again. I'm not going for those extra 7 shots. I have read about the primrose oil and wondered if it worked. Glad you say it does. I'll be getting some tomorrow.

Thanks so much,

Rich
Old Wed May 30, 2012, 11:38 PM

Hi Rich,
I have just finished my second round of vidaza too. Each time I get 2 injections but only ever in my stomach. By the 7th day, they are struggling to find a spot to inject into though! I have used the primose oil each time but still end up with reactions.. It is really strange, some dont react too much and others end up almost 5cm long and bruised etc. Most of them start to peel after few days.

I thought that the amount of vidaza u recieve is based on your weight so maybe they have a limit of how much serum they can put in each injection. but that doesnt really explain why 2 the first time. I would definitely be asking for 2 only!

Good luck.
Old Thu May 31, 2012, 03:07 AM

How Many Shots Of Vidaza At Each Visit

I'm a pretty good sized guy, 6'2, and about 207 lbs. Possibly if I was much smaller I could understand the rationale, but for me two is enough. I get them in the back of the arm or stomach. I'll try the primrose oil, and I've also had rash on my chest which itches badly. I have used a hydrocortisone cream with some success on that.

Thanks,
Rich
Old Thu May 31, 2012, 04:27 PM

I weighed more than you my first year of Vidaza and never got more than 2 injections, both in the belly.
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com