Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > Bone Marrow Failure
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bone Marrow Failure Causes, treatment approaches, terminology, related diseases

Old Thu May 23, 2013, 02:11 PM

Copper

Hi Chirley,
Now your bonemarrow probably is telling you that it is impossible to make red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets without copper.

There are now growth factors for red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets. Then we can have PRBC and platelet transfusions but the white blood cells live too short time for transfusions.

If you have to try the copper that gave you a terrible rash you will get Prednisone or a similar drug and this will decrease your ability to fight infections.

Hope the hematologist will have some thoughts about treatment.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Sat May 25, 2013, 08:21 PM

I received the results of my last blood test and all my counts have improved. My doctor thinks the B12 injection helped raise the counts. It really does pay to have a doctor (GP) who monitors everything. I hadn't had a B12 level done since I had a course of injections for a previous low B12 level. My B12 has been low three times now (had injections twice before) and my GP wants me to have monthly B12 injections for the rest of my life. That's easy.

Regards

Chirley
Old Sun May 26, 2013, 04:36 AM

B12

Hi Chirley,
Very good with the B12 effect!
Birgitta-A
Old Tue May 28, 2013, 11:11 PM

Good news

I just got a phone call from my GP with the results of yesterday's blood test. My Hb is stable at 100 and my neuts are 0.2, no mention made of the platelets so I assume they are also stable.

I am astonished my Hb hasn't dropped since that was my initial problem and I was severely transfusion dependant. I'm so incredibly happy that so far I haven't had any bad effects from stopping the copper treatment. Perhaps the B12 injection really is helping to keep my Hb stable.

While my GP is not happy with my neuts being that low he has agreed for me to wait on next weeks blood test to decide if I will have any treatment for it. I just have to do the usual thing of staying away from crowds and washing my hands a lot but I've been living like that for years and I'm used to it.

Regards

Chirley