Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > Bone Marrow Failure
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bone Marrow Failure Causes, treatment approaches, terminology, related diseases

Old Wed Feb 26, 2014, 04:57 AM

Febrile neutropenia (low neutrophils)

Hi All,
Here is an article about fever and low neutrophils - I have been treated in my hospital for febrile neutropenia three times since dx 2006.
http://www.mdsbeacon.com/news/2014/0...tic-syndromes/
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Wed Feb 26, 2014, 02:16 PM

Neupogen

The first time I had neutropenic fever (2007) I had had three infections in two months and I stayed 6 days in hospital. My neutrophils were 0.1. As soon as they had performed a BMB I was treated with Neupogen. Then I continued to take Neupogen 1 or 2 injections/week.

2010 I started to take Thalidomide. My neutrophils decreased and had neutropenic fever after two weeks. This time I only stayed 1 day in the hospital. Then I took less Thalidomide and my neutrophils slowly increased. 2011 I didn't need Neupogen and stopped taking the drug.

2013 the Thalidomide dose was increased due to less effect. My neutrophils decreased and I started to take Zarzio (Neupogen) one injection/week. After an intestinal infection I had an infection in my right hand and stayed 4 days in the hospital

Now I am taking Revlimid instead of Thalidomide. My neutrophils are slowly increasing and soon I hopefully will be able to stop taking Zarzio. The blast cells in my blood have disappeared so I don't think Neupogen/Zarzio will give me AML.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A