Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Mon Dec 8, 2014, 02:22 PM

Does AA qualify for disability?

I have moderate AA (age 58) and have been told to "watch and wait" with no treatment at this time. I am, of course, dealing with all the usual - fatigue, etc. - and cannot work. When reading the disability eligibility requirements, AA is an approved disease, but I believe only with a transplant or other treatment. Does anyone know if is possible to receive help at the moderate stage, or am I pursuing an impossible path? I live in CA.
Old Mon Dec 8, 2014, 03:49 PM
Owner

JeriM,

I've never seen a list of specific diseases/conditions that are eligible or ineligible for state disability claims. This page says that eligibility depends on being "unable to do your regular or customary work", something a doctor must certify. You fill out the "Claimant's Statement" and the doctor fills out the "Physician/Practitioner's Certificate". It's called Form DE 2501.

You can apply online or use the printed form. If it's the printed form, make sure it's the latest one. There's also Form DE 2500A, used to "renew" your disability claim after a period of time.

If you learn more about your eligibility by talking to your doctor about the limitations you currently have and by going through the application process, please let us know how it turns out, since others have asked similar questions.

This information is only about STATE disability eligibility.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2014, 03:18 AM

It is a disability if your counts (Hgb) are at certain levels. I believe Hgb has to be below 9...
Go into the SSA website and look under the list of
Compassionate Allowances to see if you qualify.

Hope this helps

http://www.disability-benefits-help....ate-allowances

http://www.disability-benefits-help....plastic-anemia

Last edited by NLJabbari : Wed Dec 10, 2014 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Add link
Old Sat Dec 13, 2014, 04:23 PM

SAA qualifies as an illness which allows fast track for Social Security disability coverage. Not sure about AA, though worth checking the SS website.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2015, 03:12 PM

I have AA, TERC, & pulmonary fibrosis & am on SS

Hi, just read your post & wanted to give you some advice. I qualified for SS disability last year & was fast tracked (went through process faster) for my diagnoses. It doesn't hurt you to try, and the faster you do apply, the faster you will get your money. You should check beforehand to find out how much you will get, because its really not enough, it might not be enough to cover your bills, & if you have savings, you will probably have to dip into that. I've been working full-time plus since I was 15, and am now 46 & didn't want to file, but needed to to take care of myself. It also doesn't hurt to get a SS disability attorney if you don't have a medical background. I'm a nurse & I used an atty (they do it based on contingency), but probably didn't need one. Mine charged 25% & it was paid for from SS. Good luck, hope I helped.
Linda, 47 yo, married, mother of a teen, moderate AA w/ TERC mutation (2007 NIH), Pulmonary Fibrosis 2010, was on Danazol study (Aug 2011-2013 & restarted 9/14/15), last transfusion May 2011. On Promacta now. Needing a double lung and stem cell transplant.
Old Sun Apr 5, 2015, 11:49 AM

Yes. Apply asap! It takes 6 months till your first check!