Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Insurance, Finances, Disability, Veterans Benefits
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Insurance, Finances, Disability, Veterans Benefits Your finances, insurance, job issues, and veterans benefits

Old Tue Jul 21, 2015, 11:54 PM

Question How to Choose Insurance?

I have SAA in a watch and wait mode. I currently do not have insurance but need to find some asap since the future will no doubt be filled with medical bills. How on earth do you choose??? I have looked at Blue Cross, Aetna, etc. and the possibilities are numbing. Is it best to have high payments with low deductible, or?? Is it a problem if I need to move to another state? How long does it take for coverage to kick in? ANY info to help me through the maze would be hugely appreciated. I feel lost.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2015, 08:33 AM

You may want to find a broker who can help you navigate your options. High deductible is usually good if you don't anticipate needing it. Good prescription coverage is a must. Some of these med can be very expensive. We have a high deductible but also a health saving plan that we've been contributing to for a couple of years now and can draw on it to pay for medical expenses.

Also consider going to NIH for the initial treatment. I think if you participate in the clinical trial, it's paid for but you would have to check on that. But once you get home, it's on you.

Blood transfusions, meds, frequent doc visits.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2015, 01:19 PM
Owner

JeriM,

Covered California, the state's Affordable Care Act insurance program, has pretty good options for health insurance, although you won't be able to enroll until the fall. There's an exception if you qualify for immediate enrollment after a "life event".

One of the most important features of this insurance is that you can't be denied coverage for pre-existing conditions.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2016, 01:52 PM

The costs are enormous for these diseases. The bills to me and my insurance company are over $40,000 per month. Fortunately, our insurance has been great. It does get a person's attention. I have wondered what Medicare will cover once we leave our insurance carrier that we have now.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2016, 02:54 PM

Margaret,

Are you able to participate in a clinical trial for eltrombopag. NIH was running one but I don't know the status of it. The Hep C may be problematic for a clinical trial but it may be worth checking just in case.

If you're on medicare now, I'm not sure you can switch to the ACA. But you can go to healthcare.gov to find out.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2016, 05:50 PM

Well, thank you... I confess that I want nothing to do with the ACA. I would sooner set up camp on an ice floe near Greenland with an ample supply of coffee yogurt and my Bible - not in that order! - and call it a life. This is all so anti-climactic to me and I can't get past that. As I say, I'm not upset. I'm cool (would be cooler on that ice floe, though! - ) It'll be 44 years on Nov. 7 since I was diagnosed with SAA and I'm just very tired.

Again, thank you, Marlene!

Margaret