Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions and Answers Not sure where to post a question? Post it here.

Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 06:55 AM

Commonnes of rash

Is it common to develop unexplained rash with hematological problems?
Just curious. Do you many of you suffer from various types of rash?
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 05:39 PM

If your platelets are low, it's pretty common to get petechiae, which looks like tiny little red dots on the skin (they're not raised nor are they itchy or painful). When my platelets were below 20, I would regularly get them and also larger blood spots under the skin in addition to regular bruising. You should have your doctor check out your rash to be sure though.
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)
Old Tue Apr 20, 2010, 12:47 AM

Rashes

I had petechiae some 15 years ago, with normal platelets though, diagnosed by doctors. Tiny red dots, not itchy. Nearly ten years ago (how does time fly) I had also rash, without known cause, occasionally itchy, lasting a week or two. Now, three doctors looked at them but were not very sure what it is. Will be making an appointment for an allergiologist in case. But also they occur in places either with tight cloth, or soft and thin skin. Do not know, was wondering about some metabolic problem. Meanwhile, took a new CBC for curiousity, levels the same except red cell indices "better"; RBC 4.01 from 3.8, Hgb 14.1 from 13.2, Hematocrit 39.6 from 37.7, MHC 35.2 from 34.7 and MCHC 35.6 from 35, MCV still 99. ANC 2.4 and Abs lymph 1.3, with WBC 4.2. Perhaps my body is not used to so much iron...