Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > News and Events
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News and Events News related to bone marrow failure diseases

Old Sat Jul 28, 2007, 02:23 PM

Going to Conference in Las Vegas?

Hi, My name is Marie and I was diagnosed with AA 2 years ago. I'm 64 and counting! My friend, Peggy, and I are going to the conference from Wed Aug 15 and leaving late on Fri Aug 17 (late flight). Our flight on Southwest arrives at 12:05 PM on Wed and we'd like to share a taxi with anyone going to the Renasance Hotel around that timeframe - we'll have an Aplastic Anemia poster that we'll hold up where the taxi pick up is. See you at the conference!

Last edited by Marie K : Tue Aug 14, 2007 at 03:12 PM. Reason: changed content
Old Sat Jul 28, 2007, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Hi, Marie.

Welcome to Marrowforums! I look forward to meeting you and Peggy at the Conference. Just so everyone reading this thread knows, the free registration period ended on July 16th. Now the cost is $100 per person, but that fee includes all meals for 2 1/2 days! Paid registrations do not require hotel reservations, so attendees can stay elsewhere if they like.

Regards,
Ruth Cuadra
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 09:21 PM

Hi Marie,

Where are you two leaving from. I was hoping to go by car but I think flying will be easier.

Also, I have reservations so if someone would want to room with me you can have the free registration. My son was going to come with me but he's busy moving. He lives in Phildelphia and after my diagnose he decided to move to California.

If interested you can email me directly.
Thank you,
Kitty

Last edited by Kitty : Fri Aug 10, 2007 at 10:17 PM.
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 10:22 PM

Question missing work for treatments

Hi Kitty,
I'm also a high school teacher. I've been receiving aeranesp injections for 11 months now. In order to get to the treatment center, I have to leave early every day (I leave with the students) for 7 days, also I have to take a 1/2 day off each month to see my doc. I also have PKD (a kidney disease) for which I also have to miss 1/2 day every 3 - 6 months. At the end of the past school year, my work began giving me some grief about having to miss so much time from work. This fall I will begin my 3rd year at this school, so I don't have tenure. Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with this issue? Thanks.
Kathy, 47, diagnosed with MDS IPSS Intermediate Risk, Refractory Anemia and Thrombocytopenia both secondary to MDS. 8/06-treatments include 14 shots Vidaza monthly, aeranesp, neulasta when needed also have polycystic kidney disease
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 01:58 AM

Hi Kathy,

I don't know how you do it. I had to retire at least for now. I get one Aranesp a week and I get very ill for two days following the shot. I am only on my second shot so I hope my body will get used to it.

I sent you an email with more information.

Take care,
Kitty

Anyone out there getting Aranesp and having reactions? I would appreciate any information on this. Also, how high can they get the Hemoglobin with Aranesp? Mine dropped from 11.6 when I had my second transfusion to 10.1 and the second week was 10.2.

Last edited by Kitty : Fri Aug 10, 2007 at 10:18 PM.