Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Thu Dec 29, 2011, 11:48 AM

What's involved in a Bone Marrow Transplant

Hi everyone!

My husband was diagnosed 3 months ago with MDS and Acute Lukemia that developed from a prior blood disorder Thrombocytosis so we are both new to everything involved with these diseases and treatments. He has had two cycles of Vidaza and has done fairly well with that so far, a little fatigue and joint achiness and has had some very slight improvement with his blood counts. We did meet for the first time two weeks ago with a Bone Marrow Transplant doctor at the Cleveland Clinic and they took blood to do the DNA testing and are supposed to call us in a few weeks to see if we want to go ahead with a search for a donor. My question is outside of what his Doctor is explaning to us can anyone who has gone through this share some information, experiences good or bad? We left the Cleveland Clinic with our heads spinning from a 55 minute dissertation from the doctor and a "manual" a couple of inches thick to read through.

Any information would be extremely helpful.
Thanks,
Michelle
Old Thu Dec 29, 2011, 01:56 PM
Owner

Michelle,

Transplants, whether from a related or unrelated donor, have three phases: the preparatory regimen, the transplant hospital stay, and the recovery period. You can find good descriptions at the websites of the National Bone Marrow Transplant Link, BMT InfoNet, and National Marrow Donor Program.

Here at Marrowforums you'll find a number of descriptions of individual transplants experiences in forum threads in this "Transplants" section, and you are welcome to read my wife's transplant story in the Member Profiles section.

You can read more transplant stories in the blogs of some forum members. For example, follow the blog link from forum member mausmish's signature.
Old Thu Dec 29, 2011, 03:11 PM

Michelle, there are also links to other transplant blogs from my blog, as well as postings here. I was where your husband is now a couple of years ago and will always be grateful for the stories of those who went before me. The personal histories are a great source of useful information and comfort when venturing into the overwhelming unknown. Especially helpful to me were forum members Squirrelypoo and Laura who had their transplants a year ahead of me and DebbieW whose husband had his transplant two months before mine and Flamingo Jim who had his transplant a couple of months before mine. Best wishes to both you and your husband. I hope the Vidaza treatments and transplant are as successful for him as they have been for me thus far. ~Karen
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com
Old Sun Jan 1, 2012, 12:30 PM

Thank you everyone

Thanks to everyone who responded to my broad question of "Whats involved in a bone marrow transplant". I will definitely check out all the links suggested and I so appreciate your encouragement.