Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Fri May 4, 2012, 07:22 PM

low plts after transplant

I am frustrated by a lack of response on what would happen after the "watch and wait period".

It has been five weeks of receiving plts every four days. I have only required one unit of blood but hgb is dropping. While I totally understand and respect watch and wait to see if it will recover and this is all from the stress of the influenza, etc....but at what point does watching and waiting not become enough? And then what? I can't seem to get a straight answer....my bone marrow is 10-20% cellular and making no plts. My fear would be a second transplant as it seems I have AA again but with my donor cells and not my cells.....

laura
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 08:45 AM

Have you had any update on the situation, Laura? Platelets every four days is really scary - that's almost the amount I was receiving at the peak just before my transplant, and there's the danger of rejection there, too. That cellularity is really worrying, too. What do Dana Farber say on the matter? Are you still seeing them at all?
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)
Old Thu May 17, 2012, 04:26 PM

After much discussion, etc, it had been decided as of today to try Rituxan....one dose each week x four weeks.Then if there is no change in skin, gut, plts, etc.....second transplant. Most of me is good, finally a plan.....but then if it comes to second transplant....maybe i should just be grateful for what i have.....
Laura
Old Thu May 17, 2012, 11:26 PM

Laura

My husband had Rituxan after transplant for a reactivation of the EBV and I've read about using Rituxin for some GVHD problems. Wishing these treatments resolve some of these issues for you. His doctor did attribute the lower WBC to Rituxin, then again not everyone has this side effect and he was only a few months from transplant. I'm sure they will keep a close watch on your numbers ... positive thoughts coming your way.

Debbie
Debbie, wife of Mike age 58, diagnosed RAEB 2 April 2010. Initial blast count somewhere between 10-15% then 20% after two treatments of Dacogen. Completed induction therapy 8/2/2010. BMB 8/31/10 - 4% blasts. SCT 10/1/2010. Relapsed in 10/2014, second transplant from same donor on 12/31/2014.
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 09:04 AM

I also had Rituximab (UK name) after my transplant for EBV reactivation. It's a fascinating treatment, really, involving little bit of mice DNA.

The nurses said they often get bad reactions to it, so they'll start you on it reeeeeeally slowly, but I didn't have any issues at all.

I'm really, really hoping that the Mighty Mouse drip will sort you right out because you deserve to be healthy after everything you've fought through!
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)
Old Sat May 19, 2012, 05:13 PM

Thanks ladies for the replies.

I had Rituxan pre transplant and had some trouble with severe allergic reaction, etc, but it is totally worth it to me to try it.

(Melissa we also use the term Rituximab here too

I start on Tuesday.

Laura
Old Sun May 20, 2012, 03:24 PM

Dear Laura,

All our pray with you.
We will wait good news here.
Old Tue May 22, 2012, 11:34 PM

Laura

Wishing today's treatment went well and more importantly that these treatments will produce a possitive effect!

Debbie, wife of Mike age 58, diagnosed RAEB 2 April 2010. Initial blast count somewhere between 10-15% then 20% after two treatments of Dacogen. Completed induction therapy 8/2/2010. BMB 8/31/10 - 4% blasts. SCT 10/1/2010. Relapsed in 10/2014, second transplant from same donor on 12/31/2014.