Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Sat Aug 3, 2013, 10:14 PM

new here - question

Hello. My 59 year old father just a bone marrow draw on Thursday. The doctor's are suspicious that he has MDS. This is shocking to all of us because he typically is a picture of health.

On his CBC differentials, he is showing no blasts in his peripheral blood. Is this good news? Or could there still be blasts in his marrow?

His other stats from his CBC are as follows:
WBC 1.4
RBC 3.49
Hgb 10.5
Platelets 87

Any insight? Obviously, I'm very anxious awaiting the results.
Old Sat Aug 3, 2013, 11:54 PM

Isander, waiting for test results to know what your up against was one of the worst parts for us. W those counts it could be MDS or something else. The BMB (bone marrow biopsy) results will Give y'all answers. I hope y'all get them soon!
Why dose your fathers dr suspect MDS? My husbands dr would Not let out one clue what he suspected until after the BMB.
Heather, wife of Ronald 36; dx PNH 2012; Dx VSAA 2013; eculizumab(Solaris) hATG 2/20/13 cyclosporine 400 mg daily. 37 units RBC and 15 units of platelets. Post BMT -pentam,vorconizole,valtrex, valcyte, actigall, Pepcid , prograf, magnesium.
10/10 MUD 10/10/13
Now no PNH or AA. Mixed Chimerisim
Old Sat Aug 3, 2013, 11:55 PM

Islander, your dads counts do look off, I would wait till you get you biospy results back before you jump to any conclusions of whats going on, there are a wide variety of blood disorders and a lot of different types of mds, if you start researching before a proper diagnosis it can tend to make you worry more than you allready are, You are probly feeling overwhelmed and scared, try not to panic, this site has a lot of love and informative folks, times like these are stressful on the whole family, we are here for ya'll, you are not alone, we are praying for ya'll.....Billy and Tina
Billy - Husband of Tina: 31 years old at dx - June 2007 - Stage 3 Breast Cancer - Dec 2008 Stage 4 - Brain and Bone - Nov 2012 - Therapy Related AML. Curently on Decitabine for Therapy Related AML and Herceptain for ongoing Breast Cancer. Weekly transfussions of blood and platelets
Old Sun Aug 4, 2013, 10:28 AM

Yes, you can have blasts in the marrow and it not show up in peripheral blood. As others have said you'll have to wait for the BMB results. Try to only read current info. Sorry y'all are going through this.
God bless,
Linda, Al's wife, 75; dx MDS 5/2010; Vidaza 6/2010; ARRY614 & Sapacitabine clinical trials at Emory, no results, stopped 12/2011. Had BMB at NIH on 6/5/12, blasts 10-15% so he's not eligible for trial there. :eek Promacta trial, Tampa, blasts 25-30% 8/17/12 AML, trying Dacogen now and praying.