Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Mon Aug 31, 2015, 09:43 AM

Smile Low B-12

Thanks to this forum, especially Marlene, I am feeling much better. My hematologist believes I have very low risk MDS based on my BMB. I have no blasts and normal genetics. My most recent CBC showed low platelets 62, high MCV 103.4, high MCH 35.4, low HCT .362, low RBC 3.5 and a low MPV 6.9. All other counts were within normal range.
Based on Marlene's suggestion, I obtained my most recent blood work containing my B-12 level, low and behold, my B-12 level was 230. Started taking B-12 supplements and stopped taking Nexium. I have more energy and feel much sharper. I have read B-12 deficiency can increase MCV /MCH and lower platelets. My hemotologist mentioned nothing about my B-12 count.

Just moved and waiting for my insurance. Once insured, will definitely visit a Center of Excellence for a second opinion! I'll let you know if my counts change after taking supplements.

Karen
Old Wed Sep 2, 2015, 07:57 AM

I'm glad you checked your B12. It just confirms everyone needs to have the actual copies of all results. It can be very empowering. It can take a while for the b12 to be fully restored. And once it is, you may need to continue some level of supplementation forever. The next time you get blood work, be sure to get all the other nutrients tested too. I don't know if I mentioned folate before so in case I didn't, get that checked too. A high folate can indicate that you are not converting it but it's correctible.

Good luck with your move.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.