Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Fri Oct 11, 2019, 10:19 AM

Pregnant and recently diagnosed with AA

I’m a healthy, 29 year old woman, recently pregnant. During my routine OB labs, they noticed my CBC showed really low HGB, platelets, and WBC. A few weeks later I got retested and the numbers were drastically dropping. I was admitted to the University of Utah hospital, and diagnosed with non-severe AA. This was about 6 weeks ago. Since then, I’ve had red blood and platelet transfusions 1-2 times per week, and recently was re-diagnosed with severe AA. I just started cyclosporine last night. I’ve tried Neulasta but it didn’t really help with my neutrophil counts. It’s pretty scary having this disease, but I’m extra worried for my baby. I still have 20 weeks to go before delivery, and my doctor is hopeful that will help the AA go into remission. Fingers crossed
Old Sat Oct 12, 2019, 09:20 AM

I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this. Not too many doctors have experience treating SAA patients and even less experience with someone who is pregnant. If they have not already done so, I would suggest they consult with National Institute of Health, DR. Young or Dr. Brodsky at Johns Hopkins. They are very experienced with SAA and I'm sure have seen SAA during pregnancy. You can also search for pregnancy on this site since there were some older posts on this. Most having to do with getting pregnant after treatment though.

It's important to have a doctor experienced with these diseases.

Wishing you the best.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.