Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Alternative Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Alternative Treatments Complementary and alternative medicine; natural and holistic approaches

Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 01:52 PM

Wheatgrass is a good iron chelator

I just read a study about wheatgrass being a good iron chelator for mds patients, but if its good for mds...should be good for the rest of us bone marrow failure people? google it!
Linda, 47 yo, married, mother of a teen, moderate AA w/ TERC mutation (2007 NIH), Pulmonary Fibrosis 2010, was on Danazol study (Aug 2011-2013 & restarted 9/14/15), last transfusion May 2011. On Promacta now. Needing a double lung and stem cell transplant.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 12:20 PM

Yes, it seems to be, and also it could perhaps cause a better hemaotological improvement than the non-natural chelators. As watched by comparison of the new Exjade-ASH-Study on hematologic improvement by Exjade and den ASCO-MDS-Study 2009.

But its much work to plant the seeds, and also you never can be sure about the exact ingredients, because this varies with the climate and actual wheater.

Kind regards,

Margarete
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 12:11 PM

I have been taking wheatgrass pills for 2 months and my iron level has gone from 1500 (after an all time high of 1900) to 600. I really recommend trying this before going on exjade, which has some nasty side effects.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 07:15 PM

Please write, which quantity you have taken and how often per day.
Do you go on with taking the pills? 600 is still more than the regular level.
In a report concerning ferritin reduction after stem cell transplantation there has been written, that the patients undergoing phlebotomy to reduce their iron burden first attained the complete normal level (not only 1000 like it is advised to stop with exjade) and then needed more phlebotomies for a rather long time period, i.d. supposedly there is some iron in the body which is released into the blood later, but is not good for the body, so that the patients had to undergo that ongoing phlebotomies. so i would - for going sure - go on with the pills. In a study with wheatgrass and MDs-patients iron chelation the time-period of intake was at least 6 months, in other studies -with thalassemia patients und partly pills - 1 year and more, and there were no sideeffects except in a few cases, but these were not serious (stomach) and these were - as i remember - children who took the tablets.
If your doctor would need some documentation, i will send him and/or you my "information package" with all the links to the studies i found concerning wheatgrass and iron chelation. Email: maulehla@gmx.at
Good luck! Good health!
Margarete
Old Mon Sep 7, 2015, 08:44 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK921 View Post
I have been taking wheatgrass pills for 2 months and my iron level has gone from 1500 (after an all time high of 1900) to 600. I really recommend trying this before going on exjade, which has some nasty side effects.
Hello you are very lucky wheatgrass worked for you thats great news.

I took it for a year and it didnt seem to helpi guess we are all different. .I had to try exjade i didnt want to i knew it had its issues
and now i am concerned, as i believe it can cause problems in the digestive system and it has upset mine ..so what to try now, to calm down an already upsetsystem.! im not surem perhaps i might try an old remedy..alkalize my system through juicesto see if that doesnt calm things down.
If any one can throw any light on the side effects and what they did to help them i would love you to share it particularly affecting, so far, the digestive tract and gastrointestinal .......thanks for sharing everyone

Last edited by aussie danielle : Mon Sep 7, 2015 at 09:03 AM. Reason: mistakes \
Old Mon Sep 7, 2015, 07:51 PM

Sorry, I didn't find anything that fixed my gut issues on Exjade. Eventually the Doc took an Amylase or Lipase level and it turned out it was upsetting my pancreas and I was taken off the Exjade.
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion
Old Fri Sep 18, 2015, 05:22 PM

Chirley, Sorry to hear that you have reactions on Exjade.

What is your ferritin level now. Maybe you could try desferal, my impression is that it has less side effect, although it might not at convenient as Exjade pills.
41yo Female, AA with digestive problem in May 2005, hATG+Cyclosporine no response, 11/2005 SLE diagnosed, Cellcept+pred, digest resolved, but still tx, 5/2008,shingles and IV pred, stop cellcept, tx free until 5/2015, MDS EB1, Marrow blast 9%, Monosomy 7