Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transfusions and Iron Overload
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transfusions and Iron Overload Blood and platelet transfusions, iron testing and treatments

Old Sat Apr 26, 2008, 12:22 AM

Natural treatment for iron overload?

Hope everyone is doing well - I was just wondering if anyone has any 'natural' remedies for treating iron overload. I've started juicing cilantro and turmeric (general metal chelators) and would like to know if there are other natural herbs to juice. My ferritin level has reached 2000 and I will probably be started on Exjade soon - my complexion is that of a cast iron skillet (not very appealing)......

Thanks,

Michelle
Old Sat Apr 26, 2008, 05:35 AM

Hi Michelle,
When I google cilantro I only find positive info but when I look at turmenic I find warnings about increased bleeding and negative effect on the immune system:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...-turmeric.html

You probably already follow the recommendations for patients with iron overload:
avoid red meat,
refrain from cooking in an iron skillet,
avoid vitamin C at mealtime (enhances iron absorption) and eat foods like fruit and juice high in vitamin C between meals,
eat fiber (impedes iron absorption),
drink black tea (tannin impedes iron absorption) and
eat dairy (calcium decreases iron absorbation).
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
69 yo, dx MDS Interm-1 May 2006, transfusion dependent, Desferal 4 days with transfusion (latest ferritin value 1488), Neupogen 2 injections/week
Old Sat Apr 26, 2008, 10:34 AM

Hi Michelle,

Unfortunately there's not a good "natural" chelator out there for iron. Iron is a difficult one to get rid of especially at those high levels and if you still are getting red cell transfuions.

The only effective non medicine way to quickly reduce iron is through therapuetic phlebotomies which is not appropriate for anyone getting transfusions or anyone who cannot maintain a HGB of 11 or above on their own. Sweating will eliminate a small amount of iron through the skin. Some have used infared saunas but with summer just around the corner, it's pretty easy to sweat outside in the sun and boost your vitamin D levels at the same time.

We have found that John's vitamin C levels were low and that was probably do to the long term iron overload. He does take vitamin C, E and CoQ10 to combat the oxidative effects of too much iron. Too much Iron can cause a vitamin C deficiency.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Sun May 11, 2008, 12:05 AM

thanks for the wonderful information - looking at starting exjade at a low dose - this morning my husband said that my skin coloring has a fine patina, not quite the compliment I am looking for

michelle
Old Sun May 11, 2008, 05:33 AM

Iron overload

Hi Michelle,
You have to keep an eye on your ferritin level - if it is too high iron can damage the liver, the heart and a lot of other organs and if it is too low Exjade can give adverse effects. Good luck with Exjade!
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 02:45 AM

Michelle, be sure to get a base-line level on your kidneys prior to taking the Exjade, as it can raise your serum creatinine level. My Dad has had a hard time with the Exjade, diahrrea, nauseau, stomach pain, vomiting. However, some people tolerate it quite well with little or no problem.
Dad's kidneys had been damaged by vasculitis in 2004, so they are vulnerable.
Best of luck!
Deb, daugter of Paul, 77, SAA, dx 8/08, 2 ATG treatments with no results - yet!