Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Fri Aug 2, 2013, 05:30 PM

hematoma with MDS

Hi Everyone,

My dad was hospitalized with what was believed to be an infection from a bug bite (see other thread). When they did surgery they found that it was actually a hematoma.

I'm wondering how common/ dangerous this kind of thing can be in individuals with MDS, and if it is recurring [in your experiences].

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sun Aug 4, 2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin591 View Post
Hi Everyone,

My dad was hospitalized with what was believed to be an infection from a bug bite (see other thread). When they did surgery they found that it was actually a hematoma.

I'm wondering how common/ dangerous this kind of thing can be in individuals with MDS, and if it is recurring [in your experiences].

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

i would say that sounds a little scary on a couple of counts, but have a couple of questions. I am assuming that your father has had MDS for a while and that they took blood counts prior to surgery, at least i hope. I have very low platelets and get a hematoma almost every time that i hit something pretty hard. Overall, not terribly dangerous as long as that internal bleeding stops in a reasonable period of time, and it is not on the head or against a spot that could reduce blood flow to other regions, and probably so long as it is not internal, since there just isn't a lot of space inside of your body to accommodate lumps and swelling without affecting other functions.

If I hit something hard, i tend to rush over to the ice tray and try to help my few platelets along by icing the point of impact.

Hematoma's normally come from some point of impact, but do represent poor clotting function.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.
Old Fri Sep 20, 2013, 12:12 PM

I live with hematomas on a daily basis. I have no clotting factors.