Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Drugs and Drug Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs and Drug Treatments ATG, Cyclosporine, Revlimid, Vidaza, Dacogen, ...

Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 01:55 PM

Giving Exjade a 2nd try

Hi There-

I was wondering if ANYONE has tried Exjade, then had an allergic reaction....Then tried it again at a much lower dose & had any good results?
My Mom was on it for 3 weeks- developed a terrible rash, broken blood wain in cornor of eye & generally felt sick.
BUT, her Iron went from 1200 to 820.
She is trying to avoid getting the older therapy, that takes 5 days a week.
Any information would be GREATLY appreciated-
Best Regards, Jan
Old Tue Jun 5, 2007, 06:05 PM
Owner

Jan,

Another forum member reported, in this post, that his wife had a severe rash while on Exjade.

According to the manufacturer's Exjade Prescribing Information (PDF file, size 188K), skin rashes were one of the adverse reactions that "most frequently led to dose interruption or dose adjustment" and in one study of about 300 patients, 8.4% of them experienced rashes. They say:
Skin rashes may occur during Exjade® (deferasirox) treatment. For rashes of mild to moderate severity, Exjade may be continued without dose adjustment, since the rash often resolves spontaneously. In severe cases, Exjade may be interrupted. Reintroduction at a lower dose with escalation may be considered in combination with a short period of oral steroid administration.
If your mom started Exjade again at a lower dose, perhaps you could give us an update.
Old Sat Jul 28, 2007, 10:38 PM

I have taken Exjade and also the injection therapy that you have to take five night a week. I did not have any problems with the Exjade, but I do want to encourage you by letting you know that the injectible therapy is in no way as bad as it sounds. And both forms of treatment worked equally well for me.