Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Drugs and Drug Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs and Drug Treatments ATG, Cyclosporine, Revlimid, Vidaza, Dacogen, ...

Old Sun Jan 27, 2008, 02:41 AM

Neupogen - Effects on Blood Tests?

Hello,

I'm hoping that someone out there might be able to help me out. My father just started Neupogen shots two weeks ago with the hopes that they will boost his WBC. He started with one shot per day and his WBC has gone from .3 to 10 (which is wonderful because the doctor wasn't sure it was going to work at all). He is now down to three shots per week.

I noticed though that immediately after he started taking these shots, his monocytes started increasing and blasts went from less than 0.1 to .2. In addition NRBC went from 3.0 to 14.0

I am having some major problems trying to understand the above results (firstly, is 0.1 equal to 10% and thus his blasts have gone from 10% to 20% in the week he's taken the neupogen)?

Secondly, are these types of changes in blood tests associated with neupogen (I can't seem to find any correlation and it could be a coincidence but they seem to be significant changes in a short period of time; I'm believing less and less in coincidences these days.).

Is there anyone who can tell me if this happened to them and HOW concerned I should be about the most recent results? I can't seem to find any related questions on the site...

Many thanks,

Jennifer
Old Sun Jan 27, 2008, 03:08 PM

Neupogen effects

Hi Jennifer,
Here is a link to info about Neupogen. There is much information that isn´t interesting for you but it is perhaps better to try to find the relevant info than not have any info at all. You know that when your father had a WBC count of 0.3 he really needed treatment.

http://www.rxmed.com/b.main/b2.pharm.../NEUPOGEN.html

As far as I understand blast cells 0.1 corresponds to 1 % blast cells – you have better ask your fathers doctor about that important question.

Hope your father will manage to receive stem cell transplantation soon !

Kind regards
Birgitta-A
68 yo, MDS Interm-1 dx May 2006, transfusion every 6th week, Desferal 4 days after transfusion. Neupogen 2 injections/week
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 06:15 PM

Pop's Story

Hello Jennifer,
I am sorry to hear about your dad. I may not have all the answers, but if you check out my blog, I have an update, maybe even call it a history on my father since he was diagnosed.

Once again I am sorry, and my prayers are with you.

Good luck.

Scott.
SON of BOB
Scott, Son of BOB. My father, diagnosed 9/07 with "hypo-cellular acute bone marrow Leukemia" AA, AML & MDS. He was 77 years old 08/25/2008. He was being treated with Ara-C, blood and platelets w/needed. Stopped blood treatments 12/08/08 & passed 12/23/2008. Pop was the best father and friend.