Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 06:40 PM

Platelet count is still low after 3 1/2 months after ATG

I was diagnosed in Nov 2009 with SAA and had 10days treatment with ATG in December. My counts are still low and specially platelets. I'm so worry and don't know what I have to do to increase the count. Please advise or share your story. Many thanks!
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 11:24 PM

Hi there,

I was also diagnosed SAA, and treated with ATG. It took a good eight months for my platelets to reach the teens, and more than a year before they hit the twenties. Two years post-treatment, they are finally in the high 40s.

I've been told several times that the platelets are the last (cell type) to come back, and it certainly has held true for me. Don't be discouraged, they will improve. Try not to worry, there's not much you can do, and stress is never good for a healing body.

Relax about it, rest, and think positively!
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 01:51 PM

How low is low, and have you seen any improvement at all? If there has been any kind of increase without being transfused, I agree with Gloria. Platelets are often the slowest to rise, so be patient.

Ken's Plts never rose above the mid twenties after his first ATG. A year and a half later he had his second round and they started increasing a bit faster, but still slow. It took him 8 months to reach 50k, and another 2 years to get to 100k. As long as the general trend is upwards, it's good news.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 04:34 PM

Thanks so much for your time to response to my post. My platelets count around 16K-21K. My last count was on Monday at 16K and hope it will go up tomorrow. I didn't have platelets transfusion for the last 4 weeks and might need blood transfusion in couple of days. Thanks so much for your encouragement.
Old Fri Apr 23, 2010, 07:06 PM

vancares@hotmail.com

Hi. I was also diagnosed with SAA in Dec and received ATG in early February.
For the first month following treatment I had both platelet and RBC transfusions. Now, its been 4 weeks without; my platelets are at 34 and my hematocrit is 28. Also rising at very slow rate. I'm on tacrolimus (prograf) and doctor keeps increasing dosage--now at 10mg 2x/day.

I hate this drug for its side effects but I guess its nec. What meds are you on?Susansr