Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old Mon Sep 19, 2016, 08:45 PM
PaulS PaulS is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 247
Hi Baile - I go into the hospital tomorrow for placement of the dreaded Hickman Catheter - next day starts chemo - with the actual transplant scheduled for the 26th. They harvested 10 million stem cells from my brother today - which is very exciting - I think they were only able to get 700,000 from my last donor - which contributed to delays in engraftment and my counts rising - I'm hopeful things will go more smoothly - and there is something nice about receiving stem cells from my big brother.

I"ll keep you posted.

Stay well! Best wishes to your daughter too.
Paul
__________________
Lower risk MDS diagnosed 2012. Recurring skin nodules treated with prednisone, otherwise watch and wait. HG dropped from 11.5 to 8.7. Kept going down to 5. Vidaza didn't work. BMT from MUD on September 10 2015
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old Tue Sep 20, 2016, 08:44 AM
KatailS KatailS is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Avon, CT
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Hi Baile - I go into the hospital tomorrow for placement of the dreaded Hickman Catheter - next day starts chemo - with the actual transplant scheduled for the 26th. They harvested 10 million stem cells from my brother today - which is very exciting - I think they were only able to get 700,000 from my last donor - which contributed to delays in engraftment and my counts rising - I'm hopeful things will go more smoothly - and there is something nice about receiving stem cells from my big brother.

I"ll keep you posted.

Stay well! Best wishes to your daughter too.
Paul
Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers today and for the coming days/months!
__________________
Kathie - 52 yr old mother of 4, pancytopenia since 11/2014, moderate AA 8/2016, small PNH clone, monitor bloodwork every three months
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old Tue Sep 20, 2016, 12:44 PM
bailie bailie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: McMinnville,OR
Posts: 825
I didn't have a Hickman. I had a three lumen Neostar, I think about the same thing. One of my surprises was that the procedure didn't seem to be a problem at all. I hope everything goes very well for you. You did so well (compared to my experience) during Day -4 to Day 0, I am hoping this time you will do just as well.
__________________
age 70, dx RAEB-2 on 11-26-2013 w/11% blasts. 8 cycles Vidaza 3w/Revlimid. SCT 8/15/2014, relapsed@Day+210 (AML). Now(SCT-Day+1005). Prepping w/ 10 days Dacogen for DLI on 6/9/2017.

Last edited by bailie : Tue Sep 20, 2016 at 05:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old Tue Sep 20, 2016, 07:50 PM
Cheryl C Cheryl C is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lake Macquarie, Australia
Posts: 801
Great news about the abundant harvest of stem cells, Paul. You have everything going for you with your positive attitude. All the very best and I'll be watching for your posts.
__________________
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. On watch and wait since Feb 2012. IVIg 4-6-weekly. BMB Feb 2014 - no blast transformation. 2017 still stable.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old Sun Sep 25, 2016, 12:54 AM
Debbie W Debbie W is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 202
Hang in there Paul, been absent for awhile ...

from this forum.

My husband's relapse was discovered at his 4 year check up in October 2014. His WBC had dropped almost 3 points in May 2014 from February 2014, but it was still 'within normal range.' Looking back a blood test should have been done between May and October to make sure all was OK.

So always question, be a polite pain in the ass!

WBC in October was in the 2's and they called us back to do a BMB that day. Results showed he was 60% donor and a second transplant was ultimately recommended. Induction in Oct/Nov, admission on Christmas Eve and transplant began on New Year's Eve 2014, it was a fractionated transplant given over 3 days with a couple days in between.

Fast forward to today, things have been relatively smooth, although they did detect a FLT3 mutation this time so he has been on a low dose of Nexavar since March or April of 2015, he is due to discontinue this drug in December at the two year mark.

Second time around is difficult, but possible!
__________________
Debbie, wife of Mike age 58, diagnosed RAEB 2 April 2010. Initial blast count somewhere between 10-15% then 20% after two treatments of Dacogen. Completed induction therapy 8/2/2010. BMB 8/31/10 - 4% blasts. SCT 10/1/2010. Relapsed in 10/2014, second transplant from same donor on 12/31/2014.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old Sun Sep 25, 2016, 10:39 AM
bailie bailie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: McMinnville,OR
Posts: 825
Debbie, I don't want to detract from Paul's thread here (how are you doing Paul I hope well?) but did your husband relapse with the same mutations as prior to his first transplant? When I relapsed about 18 months ago, I had no prior to SCT mutations, but picked up a new one (the "Philadelphia chromosome (9;22) which is very rare for AML). How about blast count? I am really curious if when a person goes to "60 percent donor" is the other 40 percent the original blood type? My blood type changed from A+ to O+ at transplant.
Thank you.
__________________
age 70, dx RAEB-2 on 11-26-2013 w/11% blasts. 8 cycles Vidaza 3w/Revlimid. SCT 8/15/2014, relapsed@Day+210 (AML). Now(SCT-Day+1005). Prepping w/ 10 days Dacogen for DLI on 6/9/2017.

Last edited by bailie : Sun Sep 25, 2016 at 02:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old Thu Sep 29, 2016, 12:04 AM
Debbie W Debbie W is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 202
Hi Paul and bailie ...

Paul hope you are doing well, a second transplant is difficult, but if you happen to read this just do what is needed to get through this until your counts climb. It took longer for my husband's counts to rise the second time, but in retrospect it was a breeze, although if you told me that almost two years I would say you were delusional.

bailie, I replied in the thread linked below. Feel free to pick my brain and will do my best to respond.

http://forums.marrowforums.org/showt...1420#post41420

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailie View Post
Debbie, I don't want to detract from Paul's thread here (how are you doing Paul I hope well?) but did your husband relapse with the same mutations as prior to his first transplant? When I relapsed about 18 months ago, I had no prior to SCT mutations, but picked up a new one (the "Philadelphia chromosome (9;22) which is very rare for AML). How about blast count? I am really curious if when a person goes to "60 percent donor" is the other 40 percent the original blood type? My blood type changed from A+ to O+ at transplant.
Thank you.
__________________
Debbie, wife of Mike age 58, diagnosed RAEB 2 April 2010. Initial blast count somewhere between 10-15% then 20% after two treatments of Dacogen. Completed induction therapy 8/2/2010. BMB 8/31/10 - 4% blasts. SCT 10/1/2010. Relapsed in 10/2014, second transplant from same donor on 12/31/2014.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old Thu Oct 6, 2016, 09:21 AM
bailie bailie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: McMinnville,OR
Posts: 825
Paul, we realize you might not feel like posting but we are continuing to think about your situation and hoping for the best. Right now, as we all know, is a difficult period of time. Stay strong and keep your attitude great as it always has been.
__________________
age 70, dx RAEB-2 on 11-26-2013 w/11% blasts. 8 cycles Vidaza 3w/Revlimid. SCT 8/15/2014, relapsed@Day+210 (AML). Now(SCT-Day+1005). Prepping w/ 10 days Dacogen for DLI on 6/9/2017.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forum sites may contain non-authoritative and unverified information.
Medical decisions should be made in consultation with qualified medical professionals.
Site contents exclusive of member posts Copyright 2006-2018 Marrowforums.org