Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Wed Oct 25, 2017, 02:35 PM

Question Dark Purple Splotches

Has anyone had a problem with dark purple splotches on their forearms? I have had them for a while and if they get bumped they will bleed. Two health care professionals have told me different things about what causes them. One person told me that they are caused by prednisone making the skin thin. Another person told me they are caused by low platelets. I am completely off prednisone and thought I was getting rid of them but they have come back. My platelets are consistently low - in the 40s.

Thanks

Data
Old Wed Oct 25, 2017, 04:12 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Data View Post
Two health care professionals have told me different things about what causes them. One person told me that they are caused by prednisone making the skin thin. Another person told me they are caused by low platelets.
Data,

I suspect that both answers are correct. My reasoning is that low platelets make blood clotting inefficient, so when your arm gets bumped more blood can pool there until it heals underneath the skin. Meanwhile, thin skin might make you bruise more easily (less protection), and thin skin definitely makes the blood inside your arm more visible from the outside.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2017, 10:01 AM

Thanks

Neil,
Thanks. That makes sense. Since I have been off the prednisone for a while I was hoping the splotches would go away. I was also curious to see if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks again.

Data
Old Thu Oct 26, 2017, 12:03 PM

I have purple splotches, normal platelets, and take prednisone. My doctors say splotches are from prednisone. Your experience says that platelets also cause the problem.

Ray
Old Sat Oct 28, 2017, 10:43 AM

Myeloid spots

Please check under
http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=5711
For an explanation of some spots I had start appearing in Jan/Feb
and didn't mention to doc until March. I don't remember my
Platelets being exceptionally low at that time. Spots are on my upper arms, across shoulders, and on lower legs.

I have not been on predizone. My platelets now are very low, usually
every 3 to 4 days the PLT count is under 10 so I go and get another
bag.

I was off Vidaza at the time of the spots appearing, and then we started
back with 7 day cycle, then went to 5 day cycle. Spots disappeared about day
8 of Vidaza cycle.

Stopped Vidaza due to suppression of HGB and PLTS plus increase of Ferritin.

Barb
Old Sat Oct 28, 2017, 07:45 PM

I was chatting to a lady at my church yesterday who has big "bruise-looking" splotches on her arms and she told me that she is on prednisone for a form of arthritis she has and that is what is causing the problem.
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.
Old Sun Oct 29, 2017, 11:40 AM

Smile Thanks All

Everyone,
Thanks for all the informative comments. I guess I have to conclude the spots can be caused by prednisone or low platelets. I am off the prednisone now all I have to do is find out why my platelets (and other blood counts) are consistently low.

Thanks again!!

Data