Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Drugs and Drug Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs and Drug Treatments ATG, Cyclosporine, Revlimid, Vidaza, Dacogen, ...

Old Fri Feb 8, 2013, 11:26 PM

Are colonics safe if you have AA?

Hi, quick question to anyone who knows or has experience...
are colonics safe to those with AA?
I was diagnosed two years ago, and am now doing much better and I have been trying to seek holistic, nutritional care as well as with western medicine.
I want to try a cleanse, but am concerned it will tamper with my condition.
I am currently taking 125 mg cyclosporine twice a day.
any thoughts?
thanks!!
Old Sat Feb 9, 2013, 01:08 AM
Owner

Darija,

The Mayo Clinic is a good reference site when you want fair assessments of complementary and alternative medicine in the world of Western medicine. Their colonics page outlines concerns and precautions for those who are considering colon cleansing but have other health problems.

The most important advice is to talk to your doctor ahead of time to ask about specific interactions or interference.

A reminder to all patients looking to combine approaches to health: Even if you don't follow your doctor's advice, let the doctor know of any other treatments or self-treatments you try and any supplements, herbal remedies, or other non-prescription medication you take. The key to taking care of yourself is do ask, do tell!
Old Sat Feb 9, 2013, 09:03 AM

Hi Darija,

Personally, I would stay away from colonics and go for slow, gentle cleansing through your diet. Not sure what your platelet count is and would be concern about the facility's hygiene adherence.

Since you are still on cyclo, most cleanses involve herbs to stimulate and support the liver which can mess with your cyclo levels. Whole foods are a much safer approach until you are off your drugs.

Hope this helps.

Marlene
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Sat Feb 9, 2013, 01:19 PM

yes, thank you for your responses! Wasn't sure if it would be wise to since I am still on medication... I will just keep doing what I'm doing nutritionally and hopefully still get the cleanse I need
thanks again!
Old Sun Feb 10, 2013, 09:49 PM

Whole food, plant-based - as much as possible - is ideal if you can do it. Minimise the supplements. Have you read the book The China Study by T. Campbell? It's very interesting.
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 09:06 PM

Colonics with diagnosis of AA

Darija, colonics may or may not be safe for you. Anti cancer drugs sometimes causes thinning of the lining of the intestines. In general, colon therapy is safe if you find a safe practitioner. With your diagnosis and drug therapy, it is wise to consult with your physician. If you are struggling with constipation, a competent colon hydro-therapist can discuss your options for dealing with this uncomfortable condition. I am a colon hydro-therapist and I would want your doctor's blessing before doing a session with you. The Mayo clinic does have a good article about finding a competent colon hydro-therapist. Essentially, the therapist should be certified, should use all disposable tubing and speculums, should do an intake form asking about your medical history and any contraindications and should seek a prescription from the client's physician if there is a serious illness for which you are being treated. In addition, the therapist should be using an FDA approved device which allows the operator to control the pressure and water flow.

I hope you find relief and healing.