Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Sun Sep 7, 2014, 07:44 PM

Question TRICARE or Veterans' Hospital

I was curious to know if anyone has been on TRICARE Prime and been treated with Immunosuppressive Therapy (IST) or been treated in a VA hospital. I was looking at some of the costs for Antithymocyte globulin (ATG) and just about didn't need treatment do to sudden cardiac arrest. So far I have been treated under TRICAR but there hasn't been any major expenses. Just a little worried about the future. Thanks for any information anyone is willing to share.
Old Fri Sep 12, 2014, 09:33 PM

DO NOT USE THE VA!!!!!! I have use the Orlando VA with Dr. Vishnubhotla and she claimed to have requested my records from the National Institutes of Health in 2011 come 2014 I went to the hospital due to what appeared blood in the urine and miserable organ pain I mean liver hurting, spleen, everything. I get out of Florida hospital and they figured out at 8 year misery in 2 days that I have had PNH all along and finally was on the tail end of dying in the hospital with Pneumonia.

Needless to say 1-2 days before me admitting myself to the hospital Dr. Vishnu dismissed me with the mere flu and prescribed antibiotics!!!! This is the healthcare we signed our lives away for.

I found out she never requested the medical records from the NIH because if she would've she would've seen that the NIH diagnosed PNH through flow cytometry and bone marrow biopsy. They requested that my doctor also do proper follow up to confirm. Did she? NO. I went 8 years suffering and needless doses of prednisone when in 2011 I could have been put on soliris to combat the PNH. Please my brother, only use the VA for medications.

I will also email you something also.
Old Sat Sep 13, 2014, 07:36 AM

Roger that. Good advice!!! Thanks!!!
Old Sat Sep 13, 2014, 01:44 PM

I went to the VA with MDS RAEB II. I was told that the waiting list for transplants was so long that I would be dead before I could receive one. This encounter never showed up on my healthy vet record. I had the transplant done privately with some expensive drugs required. One that my insurance did not cover was on the VA formulary and the VA supplied it.

Get VA care with your eyes wide open.

Ray
Old Sat Sep 13, 2014, 10:18 PM

Tricare