Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Tue Feb 21, 2017, 06:04 AM

New to forum

Hi all,

I just joined the forum. My husband was diagnosed with MDS January 11, I had a heart attack January 14. So far 2017 hasn't been great for us.

We love his oncologist and have also had a wonderful experience with a second opinion at Mayo. Right now my husband seems to feel well despite very low blood sounds. His blasts are under 5. It was decided that we would watch and wait since he appears to be so healthy.

His treatment is weekly propcrit shots with a plan to add neupogen to the mix. He doesn't appear to be responding to the procrit after week three. And thoughts or advice?

Thanks in advance...
Old Wed Feb 22, 2017, 10:24 PM
Owner

Paylor,

The treatment for your husband makes sense to me because he's doing pretty well despite the low counts. This treatment may work, and it avoids doing anything riskier. Having blasts under 5 is a good sign that the MDS hasn't progressed.

The year hasn't started out well for you and your husband, but having a good relationship with the oncologist is a huge benefit, so I'm glad to hear about that.