Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Sun May 20, 2012, 02:29 PM

high grade fever for last one and half month

My father is I. Hospital for last one and half month except for few days we brought him home. He is running high grade fever which reaches 104 and above and never goes away. He is febrile alll the time. Paracetamol injection or tablet are not giving much relif only brings down fever for 1-2 hrs. Doctors have tried all the antifungal and antibiotics without sucess. Every time they fail they say fever might be due to the disease itself and not due to infection.

Can disease cause such high grade persistent fever ?

All cultures have been sterile.

Now they have conducted CT Scan of chest and tbe report states :- multiple nodes are noted in the mediastinum involving right pretracheal, paratracheal , carnial subcarnial and right hilar region. Largest measuring about 1.4 cm in right paratracheal location and a conglomerate mass in subcarnial region measuring about 3cm with necrotic centers.

The doctors are hesitant to perform bronchoscopy FNAC due to very low counts. They have doubt that it is due to TB and have started the treatment for the same from today.

We are clueless in regard to what is happening

The fever has really broken him. He is litrally imobile now and in very bad shape. He is also requiring platelets every other day.

Kindly help

Regards neel
Father age 64 diagnosed with MDS RAEB-2, with 15%-18% blasts in October 2010. Only had blood and platelet transfusions. Ayurvedic treatment which showed result for arnd 5 months. Started Tahlidomide 100 mg started on 22 nd April 2011. Revolade 50 mg started on 2 nd april 2012.
Old Mon May 21, 2012, 04:03 AM

Fever

Hi Neel,
You know as soon as they have started to give antibiotics all cultures will be sterile. They have to find the bacteria, virus or fungi in the very first tests. Then they have to start treatment at once without knowing if they choose the best antibiotics. As I have written before it is very common that they can't find anything so they try different drugs.

It is positive that they have continued to examine your father because they think that he can have an infection and now they found that he perhaps has TB. Drugs for TB are quite aggressive. Hopefully they can treat the infection without decreasing his counts that already are low.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Mon Aug 12, 2013, 06:04 PM

fever?

The infection is definitely in the necrotic nodes, which likely will not turn up on blood or sputum tests. He needs to be on meds for sure. I hope he is in the hospital. I don't know about TB, but it can't hurt to try treatment for it if they have tried other treatments.
Old Mon Aug 12, 2013, 10:40 PM

Maybe sarcoidosis?
Nicole, mom to Evan (20); diagnosed SAA November 2007, hATG mid-November 2007, no response after 6 months, unrelated 9/10 BMT June 2008, no GVH, health completely restored thanks to our beloved donor Bryan from Tennessee.

www.caringbridge.org/visit/evanmacneil
Old Mon Aug 12, 2013, 11:45 PM

Neel, Dont feel alone, we have been dealing with some sort of infection for 2 weeks, doctors cant figure out what it is, so they try different things till they find out what works, my wife was running a fever saterday, I took her to the hospitol they couldn't find anything, gave her blood and platelets her fever dropped and they let her come home, we still have something going on we just cant figure out what, shes been in the bed for 3 days. When your counts run low for an extended period of time it does strange things to your body, so it is hard for the doctors to pin point the problem like they could with a healthy person.You and your family is in our prayers......Billy
Billy - Husband of Tina: 31 years old at dx - June 2007 - Stage 3 Breast Cancer - Dec 2008 Stage 4 - Brain and Bone - Nov 2012 - Therapy Related AML. Curently on Decitabine for Therapy Related AML and Herceptain for ongoing Breast Cancer. Weekly transfussions of blood and platelets
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 11:44 AM

Old Post

Does nobody see that Neel's post is from May of 2012?
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 03:53 PM

Good point, I sure didnt pay attention, If my responce has opened up some wounds I sincerely apologize
Billy - Husband of Tina: 31 years old at dx - June 2007 - Stage 3 Breast Cancer - Dec 2008 Stage 4 - Brain and Bone - Nov 2012 - Therapy Related AML. Curently on Decitabine for Therapy Related AML and Herceptain for ongoing Breast Cancer. Weekly transfussions of blood and platelets
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 07:12 PM

Billyb, you are a truly lovely person.