Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Wed Apr 9, 2014, 10:03 AM

Assist in the interpretation of test...

hi which of my brother or my sister good for me for Bone marrow transplant . i don't undrestand... pleas hellp me in result
me :
hla-a:68/68
hla-b:14/58
hla-drb1:13/12
---------------------
my brother :
hla-a:01/68
hla-b:35/58
hla-drb1:12/14
---------------------
my sister:
----------------------
my secend sister:
Old Wed Apr 9, 2014, 12:58 PM
Owner

The way I read the numbers, your siblings are each a half-match for you, and none of them is a full match. That's really unfortunate. By the odds, you had a 57.8% chance of having an exact match from one of three siblings. I'm sorry you didn't end up with a full match.
Old Wed Apr 9, 2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Cuadra View Post
The way I read the numbers, your siblings are each a half-match for you, and none of them is a full match. That's really unfortunate. By the odds, you had a 57.8% chance of having an exact match from one of three siblings. I'm sorry you didn't end up with a full match.
thank you very much...
i am so sad... no drug no chance for bmt...
why test of my tow sister and my brother is look like together but my result is diferent???
thank you...
Old Wed Apr 9, 2014, 06:30 PM

I don't know where you live but can you check into non-family match possibilities? Keep posting and at some point someone will say something that will really help. Your questions help the rest of us. My husband isn't eligible for a transplant so we do transfusions and Exjade. We keep reading up on new treatments and all. Best we can do. But he's doing fairly well. I hope you get some good help too.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2014, 01:13 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by alawe View Post
why test of my tow sister and my brother is look like together but my result is diferent???
It's random chance. The numbers are HLA (human leukocyte antigen) types, which are genes on chromosome 6. Your parents each have two chromosome 6's, and they each give one to each child.

As a result, your mother has two sets of A, B, and DR numbers (one set on each chromosome 6). Your father has two sets of A, B, and DR numbers too. Each child inherits one of the two sets from their mother and one of the two sets from their father.

Here is one way that you could have ended up with the combination you have.
Suppose your mother has one chromosome 6 with this set of HLA types:
A=1, B=35, DR=12
and her other chromosome 6 has this set:
A=68, B=14, DR=13
Suppose your father has one chromosome 6 with this set of HLA types:
A=68, B=58, DR=14
and his other chromosome 6 has this set:
A=68, B=58, DR=12
Your siblings got the first set from your mother (1,35,12) and the first set from your father (68,58,14), while you got the second set from your mother (68,14,13) and the second set from your father (68,58,12).

Your siblings end up with (1,35,12) and (68,58,14), in other words
A 1/68
B 35/58
Dr 12/14
while you end up with (68,14,13) and (68,58,12), in other words
A 68/68
B 14/58
Dr 13/12
Because your parents' chromosomes have some types in common (A=68 and DR=12) and your father has two similar sets (both with A=68 and B=58), at least in this example, you end up with 3 or 4 types that match your siblings, but not all 6.
This example might not be the real pattern for your parents, since we don't know which combination came from which parent, but the result in any case is a partial match.

As Caregive points out, there's a chance to find a better match in the bone marrow registry. In Iran that's the Iranian Stem Cell Donor Program (ISCDP).
Old Thu Apr 10, 2014, 01:53 AM

Thank you very much my freind...
i hope all of us in the end be happy....
Old Sat Apr 12, 2014, 04:39 PM

hi
today i went to my dr...
and show him my result of HLA...
he wonder...and Surprise....
he tell me may be she is not your mother!!!
i confus... right now...
is that true???
Old Sun Apr 13, 2014, 02:23 PM

Alawe,

Although I am not qualified to assess this, I seriously doubt the validity of your doctor's question. I have one brother who is a half-match, and one brother who is no match. I am older than each of them, and as a child I distinctly remember my mother being pregnant with both of them. And she is definitely my biological mother. In fact, just this past week I learned that I've passed a (probably minor) genetic issue from my mother's family down to my son, so she is most definitely my Mom. I'm also confident my brothers and I share the same father.

Having siblings who are half-matches in terms of bone marrow does not indicate that they are only half-siblings.
Kevin, male age 45; dx SAA 02/2012 - Hgb 5.8, platelets 14, ANC 200, 1% cellularity. Received ATG 03/2012. As of 03/2015, significant improvement - Hgb 15, platelets 158, ANC fluctuates around 1000, Lymphocytes 620. Tapering cyclosporine. BMB 20-30% cellularity.
Old Sun Apr 13, 2014, 03:50 PM
Owner

Kevin is correct. Your HLA typing does not show that your brothers have a different mother. It also doesn't prove that they have the same mother, the same father, or a different father. Technically, all that your results prove is that your siblings and you share at least one parent.

You'd know for sure if your parents had their own HLA types tested, but parents aren't usually HLA-tested since they are much less likely to match than siblings.

It's true that some people have discovered that their siblings or their parents weren't full siblings or their actual parents from HLA typing results. It must be quite a shock when that happens!