Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > Bone Marrow Failure
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bone Marrow Failure Causes, treatment approaches, terminology, related diseases

Old Mon Nov 4, 2013, 12:07 AM

Thumbs down Questions with ANA

Hello all,
triumphe you seem a font of knowledge to me so I'm hoping you may have some insight in this. As I said earlier, my doc said my ANA looked "good", but the auto lab system just released my results to my email showing a positive ANA of 1.80 with a "speckled pattern" whatever that may mean. Does anyone have any info relating to this or any similar results?
Old Mon Nov 4, 2013, 07:34 AM

K8samp

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8samp View Post
Hello all,
triumphe you seem a font of knowledge to me so I'm hoping you may have some insight in this. As I said earlier, my doc said my ANA looked "good", but the auto lab system just released my results to my email showing a positive ANA of 1.80 with a "speckled pattern" whatever that may mean. Does anyone have any info relating to this or any similar results?
Hi - Your Doc needs to be explaining more to you - but as I remember a positive ANA is for auto immune disease. Like I have Rheumatoid arthritis on top of all this mess - but mine is not related to my MDS - but ask them to explain to you. Do you have painful joints? Are you taking anything? Best to you.
Now have RAEB-2, Firbrosis 3+, blasts 18% peripheral, 10 - 14% blasts marrow, chromosomes now T 1:21, trisonomy 16 and 1.- Match found ---10/10 -couldn't believe when I heard - Tentative day is 1/09th!!!! Admit date changed to 11/12. WOW -
Old Mon Nov 4, 2013, 08:23 AM

A positive ANA on it's own does not really tell them anything and does not automatically mean you have an autoimmune disease. Even healthy people can have a positive ANA. And it tends to increase with age. Everyone has some level of autoantibodies in them.

So your doc will look at at other markers and your history to try to determine what's going on.

A viral infection and even meds can cause a positive result. And then there's a possibility of false positives.

Even with all that, I would still keep an eye on it and ask if you should be retested in a couple of months if things are not improving.

I went for a year and half trying to get answers for joint pain. It was a positive ANA that sent me to a Rheumatologist. Positive ANA went away but I continue to have a high rheumatiod factor with no clear explanation. Diagnosing really is an art form sometimes when it comes to these diseases.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Mon Nov 4, 2013, 09:00 AM

When I last saw Dr. M about six weeks ago, I ask him some general questions about autoimmune disease. He then went into a lecture on the the two main theories of the cause for them. It was intended as much for his fellow, and another young doctor who was there, as much as it was for me. I couldn't quite keep up, but the two doctors later thanked me for asking the question.

He recently discovered that I have a certain mutation to my Tcells. I am the only PRCA patient to have this, and it is rare in his AA and MDS patients. It is common in 70% of his LGL patients. Forty percent of LGL patients have autoimmune diseases such as RA and lupus. Research is being done. I think they are trying to find a common link among certain autoimmune diseases.
Dallas, Texas - Age 81 - Pure Red Cell Aplasia began March 2005 - Tried IVIG - Then cyclosporine and prednisone. Then Danazol, was added. Then only Danazol . HG reached 16.3 March 2015. Taken off all meds. Facebook PRCA group https://www.facebook.com/groups/PureRedCellAplasia/

Last edited by triumphe64 : Mon Nov 4, 2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Additional material and corrections.
Old Tue Nov 5, 2013, 12:45 PM

Here is an article expanding on my prior post.

http://www.aamds.org/research-articl...lastic-anemia-
Dallas, Texas - Age 81 - Pure Red Cell Aplasia began March 2005 - Tried IVIG - Then cyclosporine and prednisone. Then Danazol, was added. Then only Danazol . HG reached 16.3 March 2015. Taken off all meds. Facebook PRCA group https://www.facebook.com/groups/PureRedCellAplasia/