Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > Bone Marrow Failure
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bone Marrow Failure Causes, treatment approaches, terminology, related diseases

Old Sat Nov 9, 2013, 06:43 PM

Sed rate concern

So. I had my first appt w/Dr M @ Cleveland Clinic. What a awesome guy!! Unfortunately, he said he's never before seen a case quite like mine. Sed rate remains around 100 & he really wasn't pleased with that. Investigating much further. Drew 15 vials of blood for labs and asked me to stay here in Cleveland for the weekend for a consult with a cardio thoracic surgeon on Monday d/t an enlarged thymus. Has anyone ever had a thymoma or thymomectomy??
Kate, Registered Nurse, Mother of 3(ages 2, 11, & 12), dx w/PRCA 10/31/13. Currently on 100 mg prednisone/daily, 5 transfusions since 10/15/13 @ which time H&H was 3.9/10. Upcoming appt in Cleveland 11/8.
Old Sun Nov 10, 2013, 12:50 PM

Some people with myastenia gravis have thymoma or a thymomectomy. I glanced at this site and did a search on it for those terms. I found at least one discussion.

http://www.myasthenia.org/Home.aspx
Dallas, Texas - Age 81 - Pure Red Cell Aplasia began March 2005 - Tried IVIG - Then cyclosporine and prednisone. Then Danazol, was added. Then only Danazol . HG reached 16.3 March 2015. Taken off all meds. Facebook PRCA group https://www.facebook.com/groups/PureRedCellAplasia/
Old Mon Nov 11, 2013, 11:44 AM

The thymus is implicated a lot in aplastic anemia/pancytopenia. If you google thymus and pancytopenia you'll see in rare cases people with cancer of the thymus had their thymus removed and their pancytopenia improved spontaneously. ATG stands for anti-thymocyte globulin, and while ATG is given to kill off the T-cells, it actually kills of the thymocytes that form the T-cells. Here is what thymocytes are (from wikipedia):

"Thymocytes are hematopoietic progenitor cells present in the thymus.[1] Thymopoiesis is the process in the thymus by which thymocytes differentiate into mature T lymphocytes. The primary function of thymocytes is the generation of T lymphocytes (T cells). The thymus provides an inductive environment, which allows for the development and selection of physiologically useful T cells. The processes of beta-selection, positive selection, and negative selection shape the population thymocytes into a peripheral pool of T cells that are able to respond to foreign pathogens and are immunologically tolerant towards self antigens."

So thymocytes are implicated in our defective T-cell response: in AA there are too many killer T cells and not enough regulatory ones. Our doctor explained it to me because I was confused about my son's bone marrow biopsy results: He always had normal levels of lymphocytes in his marrow (in the 30%s) but in the blood it would be in the 70-80%. So it wasn't the marrow that was the problem, it is the T cells that are developing in his thymus (in theory). But somehow the immune system from the bone marrow is involved, too, because the bone marrow transplants work.

I think it's great that they're looking into this for you. You'd think they could just take anyone's thymus out but they can't. It's integral to growth in children. But it starts shrinking rapidly after puberty.

Last edited by curlygirl : Mon Nov 11, 2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old Mon Nov 11, 2013, 03:17 PM

Thymomas are mostly benign. The head surgeon of the local medical school told me that.

Any removal of it is one of the trade offs those of us who don't make blood have to consider.
Dallas, Texas - Age 81 - Pure Red Cell Aplasia began March 2005 - Tried IVIG - Then cyclosporine and prednisone. Then Danazol, was added. Then only Danazol . HG reached 16.3 March 2015. Taken off all meds. Facebook PRCA group https://www.facebook.com/groups/PureRedCellAplasia/
Old Wed Nov 13, 2013, 07:28 AM

I had also read that most were considered benign and inquired about that but was told by the thoracic surgeon that while many things of a benign nature may be causing the "tissue density" on the CT ( it's not definitively a thymoma), that actual masses are most often malignant yet very slow growing. He's said that he definitely doesn't want to open me until Dr M has ruled out EVERY other possible cause of the prca first.
Kate, Registered Nurse, Mother of 3(ages 2, 11, & 12), dx w/PRCA 10/31/13. Currently on 100 mg prednisone/daily, 5 transfusions since 10/15/13 @ which time H&H was 3.9/10. Upcoming appt in Cleveland 11/8.
Old Wed Nov 13, 2013, 04:27 PM

Good luck! Keep us updated.