Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > Bone Marrow Failure
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bone Marrow Failure Causes, treatment approaches, terminology, related diseases

Old Fri Aug 23, 2013, 01:11 PM

bone marrow biopsy-still have discomfort

I was wondering how long I should be experiencing discomfort from the bone marrow biopsy. I had it done three weeks ago, and I still feel achiness in my tailbone. I think it's driving that is causing the irritation. After sitting a while in the driver's seat, I must bend at just the right angle (my husband's car has lumbar support, which is even worse cuz it hits right there) that, after a while, I start aching.

I'd been ignoring it, but when I realized that the bmb had been a screw-up, I got to wondering what chance there is for there to be complications (if the doc botched the sample, could he have caused lasting problems?). I still have a scab over the incision area (so a "big pimple" type bump), and if I probe around it, it does still very slightly bruised.

Is this normal? Will I feel achiness for a long time? I've had the luxury of lying down when it's gotten too achy, but I start a fulltime job on Monday.
Old Fri Aug 23, 2013, 02:12 PM

I can't answer for any one else but mine just felt like I had bumped into something and was a bit tender. It only lasts a day or two. I've had about 14-15 BMBS.

The site of the needle itself was covered with a waterproof dressing which I was told to leave on for three days. Everytime I took it off there was barely a mark, sometimes there was a little bruising.

Maybe your bone was a little hard and they had to do a bit more pushing than usual. I'd still mention it to your doctor. It's nothing like I've ever experiencd.
Old Fri Aug 23, 2013, 04:12 PM

I have had 7 biopsies done and only one of them had any residual pain after 1 week, but even that was resolved by week 2. I have very hard bones, and the doctor was doing the procedure manually, and he was having one heck of a time getting a viable sample, so kept going in and hammering and twisting, and i think that he caught a nerve that time. I recovered fully within a couple of weeks, but had massive swelling and soreness in the hip area for a couple of weeks.

At 3 weeks, I think you definitely should ask the doctor about it .
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.
Old Fri Aug 23, 2013, 04:34 PM

Hip? The doc did it the drilling in my backside, at the top center of my buttocks. ?! Maybe that's why sitting aggravates it? I'm not really overweight, but at my age, there's enough eh hem sagging that when I sit, there's a shift of my buttocks upwards which I feel as a dull ache at the injection site. Does that make sense? Maybe if it had been my hip, that site would've been left alone more?
Old Fri Aug 23, 2013, 05:00 PM

Fried brain, that's what the doctors call the hip. It's actually the iliac crest. That's where I've had most of mine too but I've had one done at the front of my iliac crest while I was lying on my back. I could see the whole procedure. It was very interesting and the only really nasty bits were when he kept slipping off the bone at the beginning and puncturing into my abdomen and near the end when he was sucking out the marrow. Even that BMB didn't hurt afterwards.

I definitely think you should mention it to your doctor. It's probably just bruised bone from a rough BMB but you can't take any chances.
Old Sat Oct 5, 2013, 07:49 AM

It is from where they call the iliac crest but at the back - you will feel tender around that area for a while as the bone tries to heal itself, and if your platelets are low, healing takes longer. It should I believe feel bruised, so not excrutiating pain, but a wee bit painful. I had 3 on the right and for my last one insisted they went into my left "hip" instead as the the right hand side still feels tender 3 years on! just sensitive souls really If pain is unbearable then you must go to your doctor and just get them to check xxx
Old Sat Oct 5, 2013, 08:10 AM

I agree with the others. Three weeks of pain is too much for this. Tenderness is another story. That can persist a bit. But even that should have faded considerably by now.
Old Sun Oct 6, 2013, 04:21 AM

Your discomfort sounds excessive to me too. Perhaps you need to make sure you don't have an infection under the skin?

I've only had 4 biopsies (all manual and under only local anaesthesia to the site) and even though one of them was so painful that I wanted to burst out crying by the end, I still only experienced mild discomfort (like a bruise) afterwards when leaning on the site.
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.
Old Sat Nov 16, 2013, 09:58 PM

Re

Hi Friedbrain, sorry to hear about your discomfort! Did it resolve for you or are you still suffering? Can I ask if you had the drill BMB or manual method? I am trying to find out if drill method less painful or any better? I suppose it depends on the person doing it, correct position etc. I read that the drill method supposedly gives a better sample to reduce the need for another one. But again I suppose it depends on the operator. Good luck with the healing either way!
Old Fri Dec 6, 2013, 10:23 AM

It's can very well be a hematoma there. I have very little clotting properties. I had discomfort for over 6 months from my BMB. It took probably a year to go away. Check your clotting factors..
Old Fri Dec 6, 2013, 07:56 PM

Question

My husband a BMB done on Wednesday and he said there is no discomfort at all. There is a small puncture wound that can be seen, but that is all. He did not have any discomfort with his first one either. Sound like yours should be checked.
Kathy,wife of 69 year old male with DX June 2013 with MDS= RAEB 2refractory with Extra Blast Very High Risk WBC 1.9-RBC 2.29-HGB 8.1-PLT 32-, as of Aug 2013:. BMB 12/4/13= WBC 5.57/RBC 4.86/HGB 15.5/HCT 42.8/RDW 49.6/PLT 188. 3% blast.BMB 4/11/14 WBC1.6,PLT12,RBC2.6,HGB9.2