Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > Bone Marrow Failure
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bone Marrow Failure Causes, treatment approaches, terminology, related diseases

Old Fri May 1, 2015, 10:11 PM

Does G-CSF injection promote marrow failure?

At first I understood Neupogen to be proven safe and effective. Although it may be effective, one haetomologist I visited might have thought it not safe, as he was very reluctant to write scrips for Neupogen. Here I have found a new study that suggests he may be right.

In Exit from dormancy provokes DNA-damage-induced attrition in haematopoietic stem cells [Nature 23 April] the authors write, "Our data establish a novel connection between stress haematopoiesis and the occurrence of DNA damage and functional decline in adult HSCs. Given the fact that an organism will be exposed to serial rounds of infection and trauma during a lifetime, this provides an attractive explanation for the accumulation of DNA damage in HSCs with age and the associated atrophy within the haematopoietic system." Does G-CSF awaken an HSC from dormancy? A quick check with Google brought up this; "Recent studies have revealed cytokines such as Interferon-alpha (IFNα) and G-CSF as well as arsenic trioxide (As2O3) to be efficient agents for promoting cycling of dormant HSCs and LSCs." http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...74789110000475.

Beside the damage to your or your insurers bank account, you might want to hesitate before freely using this stuff. It was very effective for me. I have been unable to find any direct studies showing hastened deteoration of marrow function from long term use of G-CSF. I, however, will continue to hold it in reserve as the last-to-use anti-microbial treatment.

Of course any comments are more than welcome.