Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Mon Sep 17, 2018, 12:05 PM

New Shingles Vaccine

My transplant dr just gave me a prescription for the newer shingles vaccine. Probably a good idea for all of us transplants! Shingles are no fun... I had them a few years ago. Supposedly the newer vaccine is much more effective than the older vaccine is/ was. Still no new PNH patients here as far as I can tell?

Mario
Old Tue Sep 18, 2018, 05:32 AM

Hi Mario - if it's live shingles vaccine then normally marrow disease patients can't have it, so best to check before you go ahead.
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2018, 01:28 PM

Be sure to check out the cost. The cost can vary pretty dramatically. You may be able to find a less expensive price outside of your insurance plan. Drug stores, wallmart, cosco ,etc may have a better price than doctor offices or clinics covered by your insurance.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2018, 09:01 AM

My doctor also highly recommended the new shingles vaccine. It is very effective and is not a live virus There are no known contra-indications with cyclosporine for the immune suppressed.

I didn't even think about the insurance implications, as the flu shot is always covered. Thanks for the tip, Marlene.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2018, 10:14 AM

My dad discovered that with the newer pneumonia vax. He paid more for his at the clinic while his wife's was $200 less at the drugstore. This can also be true for other medicines as well. Apparently, negotiated prices with insurance companies are not always the cheapest and people are finding better prices for some drugs by shopping around.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2018, 12:22 PM

The large chain drugstore that I go to has to call me when they get more of the vaccine. Yes, the costs can vary. My dr's office did not have the vaccine, otherwise they wld have done it for free, that being included w/ my co-pay for the appt. I don't think that I have ever been billed extra by my dr's office for any shots, vaccinations, immunizations, etc. I have heard diff things abt getting all of these vaccinations, flu shots etc. but I trust the advice of medical doctors more than that of conspiracy theorists.

Mario
Old Thu Sep 20, 2018, 01:44 AM

Great news that this new vaccine is not a live virus. I had shingles two and a half years ago and it was absolutely miserable. Can you tell me what it's called so I can ask about it here in Australia. Thanks Mario.
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.
Old Thu Sep 20, 2018, 11:59 AM

Hi Cheryl. It is called SHINGREX. My transplant dr had shingles on her face!! Yeah, there are pretty harsh but mine cleared up pretty fast w/ acyclovir. Australia looks pretty fun. I wld like to go there sometime. A pretty long flight from the US. Here is the new WEBMD link.

Mario

https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-...u-need-to-know