Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Thu Jun 4, 2015, 04:40 PM

Low Risk MDS

In 2002 at my annual physical three cytopenias were evident. They were not substanially out of the normal range and my physician merely stated that we neded to watch these symptoms. The following year I chose to have my blood work done at my local hospital. I went in the morning and the lab tech that I performed the draw and did the tests had apparently been doing some heavy partying the previous evening. My results were all well within the normal range.

All of the following years since I have had my lab work done in conjunction with my annual visit to my hematologist. The numbers have all (WBC< Hemo, Platelets, RBC) been below the normal range. The numbers were not alarming to my MDs but I wanted to know for certain what was going on. At this point I was 73 yrs old. They did perform a BMB and I was still without a confirmation as to MDS.

I have since moved to FL and connected with Moffitt. My numbers began to drop further and another BMB was undertaken and I have now been formally inducted into the club. I am considered as low risk MDS, whatever that means. I am planning to attend the November conference in Tampa to learn as much as I possibly can
Old Thu Jun 4, 2015, 05:22 PM

Hugh,
Welcome to the club. Sorry you have to be here. I am also being seen at Moffitt by Dr. Komrojki. Who are you seeing. I am signed up for the conference in November.

Good luck

Data
Old Thu Jun 4, 2015, 05:46 PM

Low Risk MDS

Data

I am seeing Dr. Sweet. That sounds ironic as I clearly do not see anything sweet about this matter. She is very professional as well as being very knowledgeable.

Previously I was treated at Johns Hopkins when I lived in DE and they spoke highly of Moffitt.

I have to say that I am pleased with the level of oprofessionalism that I see at Moffitt.

I am living in Venice but perhaps we will bump into each other at the Conference.