Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Tue Oct 17, 2017, 01:42 AM

Unhappy White stringy jelly-like gunk in my mouth

I'm not sure this has anything to do with my MDS.

Has anybody experienced white stringy jelly-like gunk in their mouth? I have thrush on my tongue from QVar (a steroid for COPD), and I'm using MW: DIPHEN-LIDO-MAALX-NY SUS for that. I wonder if that's causing the white gunk. Or is it my toothpaste? I read on another forum that Crest Pro might cause that.
Old Wed Oct 18, 2017, 08:06 AM

Hi, isnt the white gunk related to the thrush? I'm a nurse and I see patients with stringy white saliva when they have thrush. Nystatin (not sure of spelling) drops are what we use in aus. But if you're unsure go to dr, or send them a pic maybe. Hope it clears up, lisa.
Now 30yr old. Diagnosed AML dec 2015 (Most likely MDS prior). Trisomy 6. Runx1 mutation also. Had induction and consolidation chemo. Marrow failure ++ so SCT on 21st of March with MUD. Married with a 1yr old!
Old Thu Oct 19, 2017, 01:31 PM

No Qvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa3112 View Post
Hi, isnt the white gunk related to the thrush? I'm a nurse and I see patients with stringy white saliva when they have thrush. Nystatin (not sure of spelling) drops are what we use in aus. But if you're unsure go to dr, or send them a pic maybe. Hope it clears up, lisa.
Thank you, Lisa. I have sent a picture in an email to the doctor who prescribed the mouth wash for the thrush. He didn't buy that it had anything to do with that. However, since then I've read that Qvar, a medication for COPD, can cause this white gunk AND that Qvar can lower one's immunity! I'm experimenting with no Qvar for a few days.
Old Fri Oct 27, 2017, 02:06 PM

Thrush and mouthwash

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceKay1 View Post
Thank you, Lisa. I have sent a picture in an email to the doctor who prescribed the mouth wash for the thrush. He didn't buy that it had anything to do with that. However, since then I've read that Qvar, a medication for COPD, can cause this white gunk AND that Qvar can lower one's immunity! I'm experimenting with no Qvar for a few days.
Lisa and everyone else who has experienced that awful white stringy stuff, I think I've found the cause! And Lisa, you were right: It's related to the thrush. But I don't think the thrush caused it, because I never had the white stringy gunk until I'd been using the mouthwash for a few days. I think the mouthwash (Diphenlido-Maalxny sus) that I used to cure the thrush caused it. I did quit the Qvar, which was causing the thrush, which eliminated the need for the mouthwash. It's been more than a week now, and I haven't had any white gunk at all practically since Day One of the experiment.
Old Fri Nov 3, 2017, 05:40 PM

It's back!

Bummer! The white stringy gunk is back these past two days with no Qvar and no mouthwash. I'll try changing toothpaste.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2018, 12:40 AM

Changed toothpaste

It worked to change toothpaste. I changed at least a month ago from Crest Pro to Colgate Sensitive and haven't had the problem since.