Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Tue Jul 3, 2012, 03:10 AM

Unhappy Bone Marrow Biopsy & Aspiration

I have had two bone marrow biopsy & aspiration tests done on me so far. I didn't use anesthesia and it really is quite painful. Feels to me like a bad toothache in the bone he has the needle in. If I decide to use anesthesia, I have to have it done in the hospital, and have a driver. How have you folks reacted to this test, and did you do it with or without drugs? (They do use lidocaine at the injection site, but I could do with or without it.) I'm starting my fourth session of Vidaza next Monday. When that is complete, I know he'll want to do the torture test!!
Old Tue Jul 3, 2012, 06:37 AM

I have had two BMB so far and both times I had a twilight sedation (called medazalane ~ not sure how you spell it sorry). I don't remember either of the BMB but my sister was in the room for the first and said that I did cry out and had to be held down so was obviously still painful but I just dont remember. Both times in hospital... wasnt given another option. Both times the actual site hurt for 1 - 2 weeks afterwards but nothing too dramatic! My doctor said he will do another BMB after my 6 vidaza cycle (most likely from the breast bone as both times couldnt get an aspiration from the pelvis). Sounds like we are on identical cycles... I start my fourth round of vidaza next Monday too.. have you had any improvements in your blood counts so far?
Old Tue Jul 3, 2012, 06:52 AM

Hi folks!

There was a big ol' discussion of BMB and sedation a few months ago on marrowforums. Some folks had some good tips about how to talk your doc into it.

Here's the thread.

Take care!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com
Old Tue Jul 3, 2012, 04:48 PM

My husband has a VERY high pain threshold. However, his first BMB was a nightmare and he now refuses to have another without sedation. We also went to a seminar last month and one of the speakers there was a doctor in Tampa who said he had had one volunteer BMB and he had it without sedation. He said the only way he would ever have another one is with sedation. I know everyone is different; but if my husband says it was painful, then it really must have been. I have seen him get his finger almost cut off and he didn't even flinch. However, no BMB without sedation, he says!
I'm just kind of wondering, why would you even want too?
I guess if you don't have any one to drive you, that might be one reason; or if you are afraid of not waking up, that might be the other one.
But believe me, if I ever have to have one, the doctor better put me to sleep before he even tells me I've got to have one. My husband's experiences are good enough for me.
Linda, Al's wife, 75; dx MDS 5/2010; Vidaza 6/2010; ARRY614 & Sapacitabine clinical trials at Emory, no results, stopped 12/2011. Had BMB at NIH on 6/5/12, blasts 10-15% so he's not eligible for trial there. :eek Promacta trial, Tampa, blasts 25-30% 8/17/12 AML, trying Dacogen now and praying.
Old Tue Jul 3, 2012, 05:00 PM

My doctor uses propofol for bone marrow biopsies - you are under "hypnotic sedation" for about 15 minutes and wake up almost immediately after the procedure. It is done on an outpatient basis and you are in and out within about 2 hours, even with low platelets. I woke up during the procedure on the 4th bmb, but don't remember at all. I think that I asked the doctor if he needed me to get him a hammer to get the job done, then passed back out.

I usually experience more pain removing the bandages than I do from the biopsy site itself.

I am a big fan of the sedation method.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.
Old Wed Jul 4, 2012, 01:53 AM

BMB experiences

Hi Rich - I have had 3 BMBs, with only local anaesthetic each time and No.4 is coming up in a couple of months so I understand the trepidation you feel. I agree they are very painful once the aspirator hits bone. The best experience I had was No.2 biopsy where the doctor cracked jokes the whole way through and distracted me quite a bit (laughter is the best medicine).

I've never been offered general anaesthetic, and I'm not sure what effect that might have on bone marrow function if anything? It would be good to know. I heard recently that research has shown that general anaesthetics can have a permanent effect on memory.

I'm praying that you'll be OK. The best advice that I can give is try to relax.
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.
Old Wed Jul 4, 2012, 10:46 AM

BMB under anesthesia

Hi Rich;
Earl has had 4 BMB's and is headed for his 5th next week - to see if the Dacogen is doing any good after 4 sessions. He had 2 done in West Penn Hospital in PGH with oly local anesthetic - and they were both VERY painful - and to top it off, I had to tell the Dr. how to withdraw the lidocaine from the syringe - she had the tip of the needle above the fluid level, and was wondering why she couldn't get any withdrawn. However, the one he had done at Moffitt was under anesthesia - and he recovered from it much more quickly and without a lot of pain in his hip. I am sure it is because he didn't 'flinch' when they put the needle in for the aspiration. Also, you have to remember the lidocaine only works on the soft tissue - so it doesn't penetrate the actual injection/aspiration site. He had one done here at the hema/onc's office where he is receiving his chemo and that too was painful. Ask Dr. Malhotra to admit you and have it done under anesthesia - that is of course if the insurance covers it. Good luck to you.
Beth
Old Wed Jul 4, 2012, 12:13 PM

Hi Rich,

I have had 4 BMB. 3 with lidocaine, which did nothing,.and were painful (like mining for gold with a teaspoon in your bone) and the fourth with proprol (sp) which had to be done in the hospital outpatient facility. I had asked for 'conscious sedation', but was knocked out and I believe, afterwards, it was a bit of overkill. I was groggy for a couple of days. For my next one, which has been postponed by the dr. a couple of times, I plan on taking xanax and hydrocodone before the procedure (dr. suggested) and I think my IPOD, plugged in my ears with my favorite music playing may do the trick. We'll see.

Best of luck,

Donna
f68 MDS; abmt 1/12. ABO mismatch 11 mos. (70) transf. Ferr 3-5k. 8 phlebot. AGVHD to CGVHD. skin,eyes. lungs as of 10/13. muscle weakness &osteo long term steroids.photopheresis 2x wk as of 3-15.pred 20 eod,acyclovir, mepron, voriconazole, pantropazole, lisinopril, montelukast, anoro, azithromycin.