Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Tue Jan 19, 2021, 03:39 PM

Should I get the covid vaccine?

I have been researching the covid vaccine for myself. I had a successful bone marrow transplant about 7 and 1/2 years ago. Obviously there's not a lot of research on it because there's not even a lot of research on a plastic anemia itself but from what I have read there is a small risk of relapse. I did see on one of the research pages that there is a risk of relapse with any vaccine. I was just wondering if this was true? Or if you've heard anything else. My doctor at Ohio State University recommended that I get the shot but I'm still iffy about it. Just wondering if you all had any thoughts on it. Thanks in advance AA friends.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2021, 07:45 PM
Owner

Summer,

You might want to watch a What Transplant Recipients Need to Know, a presentation by Dr. El-Jawahri and Dr. Letourneau from Massachusetts General Hospital. The presentation was arranged by BMTInfoNet last November.

You can also skip the video and search the transcript for the string "Will it be safe for transplant recipients to get a COVID-19 vaccine?" where you'll find their guidance about getting the COVID-19 vaccination after transplant. They say it's safe to get the vaccine in most cases, but read the details in their answers.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2021, 10:40 AM

Hey Neil and summerdrake. This is a link for the clinic where I go w/ some Covid 19 vaccine info. I have not been contacted by my BMT clinic or primary care clinic in respect to getting vaccinated. I am guessing that the vaccine is relatively safe, especially if you are at greater risk of contracting Covid-19.

Mario
Old Wed Jan 20, 2021, 10:40 AM

Link Here

https://healthonecares.com/covid-19/...e-information/