Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Fri Dec 10, 2010, 11:12 AM

Remission

Hi all! I just received the call from the Doc and my BMB yesterday showed complete REMISSION! I am so very happy. Thank you God! Now I am waiting for the transplant people to contact me for their testing. My brother has already been processed and he is ready to go. I need to get to the dentist (Monday @2:30) and then go through the transplant testing and wait for a bed! Prayers for me and my family are requested. Lori
Lori, female age 53 dx MDS-RAEB-II 15% blasts 10-2010. Induc Chemo 10/14/10 for 7 days - results unacceptable so 5 additional days chemo. Complete Remission 12/10/10!! SCT 1-11-11 remission achieved!!! BMB 1-29-11 100% Donor! cgvh eyes,skin (Caringbridge.org/visit/loripatrick)
Old Fri Dec 10, 2010, 01:45 PM

Congratulations...

and...
"Amen".
Cheri Age 54; dx Oct 2009 AML, induction chemo only;dx MDS July 2010,- PRBC transfusion dependent; Results BMB 8/4/11--- 6-8% blasts; Danazol 100 mg 3xday; quit Exjade/ GI distress; platelets holding 40's; Fluctuation in blasts in blood--Neupogen 3-4xweek; off Revlimid again! Procrit weekly
Old Fri Dec 10, 2010, 02:01 PM

Lori, Praise God!!!! I am so happy for you!!!!!!! Keep us posted! Stories like yours keeps Hope Alive!!! Love, Cindy
Cindy, wife of Ron 66 dx w/MDS(RARS)Feb'09,Vidaza 13mons. BMB 2/10 -5q/increased blasts. Watch/wait May-Jul10. Revlimid Jul-Aug10:A-Fib. BMB Aug18, 12%blasts. MDS to AML. Induction completed 9/21/10. BMB Oct10:CR. Consolidaton:10/25/10. Dacogen Dec27-29. SCT on Hold. Fevers/Nt sweats Jan11.
Old Fri Dec 10, 2010, 03:45 PM
Owner

Lori,

We're so glad to celebrate the good news with you! Keep up the good work.
Old Fri Dec 10, 2010, 06:26 PM

Lori,

Praise the Lord! We have prayed for this. Things will happen fast now and I am sure that you ready! I am checking your Caring Bridge site daily and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Keep us up to date when you feel up to it.

Mary
Mary, wife of Mike age 70; diagnosed MDS RARS 1999. Tried Vidaza, Revlimid, and Dacogen. SCT 10/1/09 at U of MI; induction FluBu2; sister perfect match donor. 5 years out, little to no GVHD. Off all meds. God is good
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 06:08 AM

Thank you all! The transplant unit called and I meet with them next Friday (12/17) for a 2 hour appointment. I suspect it is to go over the risks, etc. After that they will do tests on my main organs to be sure they were not damaged during the chemo while simultaneously a different doctor will be assigned to my brother to be sure his interests are looked after. They will do an ekg on him and have him see an infectious disease Dr. I asked the nurse if I would be in before the end of the year and she said that would be quick, but was a real possibility. That's my scoop right now! Congratulations to RON! Continued prayers for me and my family are requested. Lori
Lori, female age 53 dx MDS-RAEB-II 15% blasts 10-2010. Induc Chemo 10/14/10 for 7 days - results unacceptable so 5 additional days chemo. Complete Remission 12/10/10!! SCT 1-11-11 remission achieved!!! BMB 1-29-11 100% Donor! cgvh eyes,skin (Caringbridge.org/visit/loripatrick)
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 10:13 AM

Lori,

Great news. You will definitely be in our prayers. God bless you.

Linda
Linda, Al's wife, 75; dx MDS 5/2010; Vidaza 6/2010; ARRY614 & Sapacitabine clinical trials at Emory, no results, stopped 12/2011. Had BMB at NIH on 6/5/12, blasts 10-15% so he's not eligible for trial there. :eek Promacta trial, Tampa, blasts 25-30% 8/17/12 AML, trying Dacogen now and praying.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 08:26 AM

Hi all! Ok, does anyone get hot flashes after their chemo? I know I should be getting them anyway (mother nature) BUT I get real hot, then it goes away. It is very annoying!

Mary, you were correct - everything is happening quick! I am scheduled to go in for an informational meeting with the transplant group today from 1:30 - 3:00 to discuss what to bring, what will take place at the hospital, etc. Friday I take my 24 hour urine jug with me to the Doctor appointment at noon and get to meet Dr. Nelson, my transplant doctor. They also have several tests (not sure which yet) scheduled after the Dr. appt. My brother, the donor, goes to see "his" doctor there next Tuesday to have whatever tests he needs done. They will schedule the remaining tests for next week for me. I did not know I will have total body radiation too..... Oh boy.

I was all happy yesterday when I asked the nurse coordinator how many days of chemo I would have. She looked up my protocol (that made me feel a bit good - not just a standard treatment!) and she said 2 days. woo hoo. I told her I would not be as sick then! Yay. She then said,,,, yes you probably will - from the radiation. WHAT? Yipper 11 hits of radiation are coming my way. She said they will do that day 1 in the hospital - I think (?) it will be 11 hits in intervals through the day. She said I would get 3 (?) first thing. I'm not sure how this works and will have to ask questions today! I'm wondering if they hook up the chemo day 1 too? Might as well hit me hard on day 1! I've convinced myself that if I am going to go through this I might as well go through the whole shabam! Hopefully the radiation will kill those bad cells hiding in my body someplace. It's amazing isn't it? They (medical people) darn near kill my body but know just when to stop! (I hope!!)

I'm popping adivans. I am a bit anxious about all of this.... ok, I'm real anxious! I may end up being hooked on medicines after this is over with!

I am meeting my attorney this week to sign my proxy for my husband to NOT let them keep me hangin on in case of something going wrong. Also, to get my will in order. I needed to do this anyway. I'm not sure it is good to know you have something like this disease...... I'm mixed on it. Funny thing is my son has always been a supporter of stem cell use and I was not so keen on it because I thought it was playing God. Maybe God is showing me now! I'll update more as I know. If any of you have been through radiation let me know.

Prayers requested PLEASE. Thank you to all of you for your ongoing support. Hugs, Lori
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 01:18 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Patrick View Post
I did not know I will have total body radiation too..... Oh boy.

I was all happy yesterday when I asked the nurse coordinator how many days of chemo I would have. She looked up my protocol (that made me feel a bit good - not just a standard treatment!) and she said 2 days. woo hoo. I told her I would not be as sick then! Yay. She then said,,,, yes you probably will - from the radiation. WHAT? Yipper 11 hits of radiation are coming my way. She said they will do that day 1 in the hospital - I think (?) it will be 11 hits in intervals through the day. She said I would get 3 (?) first thing. I'm not sure how this works and will have to ask questions today!
My wife had 11 doses of total body irradiation (TBI) and 2 days of chemo. The schedule was like this:
Monday: 3 doses of TBI spread out over the day
Tuesday: 3 doses of TBI
Wednesday: 3 doses of TBI
Thursday: 2 doses of TBI
Friday: chemo
Saturday: chemo
Sunday: "day off"
Monday: transplant
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Patrick View Post
Hi all! I just received the call from the Doc and my BMB yesterday showed complete REMISSION! I am so very happy. Thank you God! Now I am waiting for the transplant people to contact me for their testing. My brother has already been processed and he is ready to go. I need to get to the dentist (Monday @2:30) and then go through the transplant testing and wait for a bed! Prayers for me and my family are requested. Lori
Dear Lori, So great to read good news on this forum. What a blessing. I am so happy for you and your family.

Sincerely, Rose
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 08:02 AM

Neil, That is the exact time table I will be on. Thank you for letting me know!

Thank you to all for your well wishes and prayers. You are all helpful and keep me going! Lori