Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Mon Oct 5, 2015, 01:57 PM

Questions about blood work

I was wondering if anyone can help me understand what all the other numbers on my mom's blood work mean. She gets a weekly count done and I know that they're keeping an eye on her WBC, RBC and PLT levels, but what do all the others mean. They keep telling us that her numbers are ok, but they keep going down every week. She hasn't had any shots given for the WBC or RBC but has received 4 platelet transfusions. She is pretty much on an every other week schedule with this.
I'm just concerned because the tiredness is getting worse. Should I be concerned about these other numbers? Thanks
Maura R
Old Mon Oct 5, 2015, 02:28 PM

Are you able to post her results? That will help people get a better picture of whats going on.
Old Mon Oct 5, 2015, 05:41 PM
Owner

One key is to look for L (low) and H (high) labels next to the various blood counts.

A blood count report typically shows a "normal range" for each count, and L or H indicate that the test result was lower than the normal range or higher than the normal range. This lets you see at a glance which counts are too low or too high, and you can then look at the range to see just how far off the number is.

Each treatment center has its own idea of what "normal" means, so what's "barely within range" on one lab's report might be "slightly out of range" on another lab's report.
Old Tue Oct 6, 2015, 05:27 PM

Here's my mom's numbers from yesterday's draw...

WBC 3.5 l
LYM 0.9 s
MID 0.6 s
GRA 1.9 sl
LYM% 26.9 s
MID% 17.9 s
GRA% 55.2 s

RBC 3.29 l
HGB 10.7 l
HCT 33.4 l
MCV 101.4 h
MCH 32.5 h
MCHC 32.0
RDW 12.7

PLT 24 l
MPV 7.9

I know we have to keep track of the WBC, RBC and PLT counts, but all the other's are slowly dropping, even the ones that are marked high. I was just wondering if I have to worry about them. Thanks

My mom 81 yrs old DX with RAEB II with Blasts at 15 to 18%..doing platelet transfusions every other week
Old Tue Oct 6, 2015, 09:51 PM

Maura, thanks for posting her numbers; very helpful. Here's what I know, and I am not a doctor but a retired RN. Sometimes a lab result that is too high is just as worrisome as a low result. That said, a dropping MCV into more normal range is a good thing. generally speaking. ( a low MCV signifies an iron deficiency anemia, whereas too high a MCV points to anemia caused by other things like B12 defic., or MDS related stuff.) In addition to what you mentioned, the GR number is important to watch. That is the ANC, absolute neutrophil count, which is critical to fight infection anywhere in the body. Hers is ok, as are most of the criteria except for her platelets, which you already know. If her ANC would be below 0.8, for example, her physician would be concerned.
Hope this helps some!
Mags
Old Tue Oct 6, 2015, 10:23 PM

maggiemag,

Thank you so much for the info on the blood work. It helps alot. This stuff is just so confusing at times. I just want to make sure that they're doing all they can for her. Thanks so much
Maura
Old Thu Oct 8, 2015, 02:28 PM

Hi Maura, this link has a comp description of a CBC.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/c...lood-count-cbc

webmd and similar sources have pretty accurate info; that acc to an actual medical doctor. The internet is a good resource as long as you have a good source; that's my opinion. I know that treating elderly patients for blood diseases has a lot of challenges, and we all wish your mother luck.

Mario