Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 09:43 PM

Post Dual diagnosis aplastic anemia & NHL lymphoma

I was diagnosed with AA (actually Amegakaryocytic Thrombocytopenia Purpura) in March '06 (age 49) and had ATG in July '06 followed by cyclosporine. I was doing ok till June 07 (platelets in the 50s, > WBC and RBC near the bottom of normal range) - but then found enlarged lymph nodes in my groin. This turned out to be diffuse large B cell lymphoma, for which I am now getting chemo (at NYPresbyterian-Cornell,) which is a big challenge given my low counts. A few doctors think the lymphoma was caused by the cyclosporine. At least one doctor though thinks the lymphoma was there before the aplastic anemia.
Is there anyone out there who has been through chemo for cancer with aplastic anemia, or any other bone marrow failure disorder?

Thanks. I'm so glad to have a forum where I can connect to others who have these rare issues.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 11:00 PM

Mom on cyclosporine for years

My Mom was diagosed with AA at age 58 (12 years ago), and, until this past year, has lived a somewhat normal life. The most effective drug over that period of time appears to have been the cyclosporine. And she didn't develop any other cancer during that time. The disease has just recently morphed into MDS and she rec'd her first treatment of Dacogen (and it has knocked on her bottom). She has been hospitalized for 12 days or so now. But much of this may be attributed to her condition, and maybe not so much the Dacogen. She is not feeble and elderly by any stretch, but she has had rectal bleeding on/off for the last 9 months or so, and she developed pneumonia last weekend - although she seems to be battling that fairly well at the moment.

I believe Prednisone was another drug that she has taken extensively.

Good luck -