Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Sat Mar 16, 2013, 12:26 AM

Silk Flowers

My mom was admitted to the hospital one week ago today. She will have her SCT in the morning. My family would like to decorate her room as much as possible. We want it to be as cheerful and uplifting as possible for the remainder of her stay. Also, she will be staying in a hotel for a month following her release from the hospital, so we will decorate that too.

Since she can't have real flowers in her room, would it be okay to get her an arrangement of silk flowers?

Also, are balloons usually allowed?
Old Sat Mar 16, 2013, 09:59 AM

Check with her transplant ward to be sure, but mine allowed decorations! I had bunches of silk flowers by the window, some bunting I'd made from scrap fabrics, and posters and photos stuck all over the walls with blu-tak. All the nurses loved coming into my room and they'd always ask about the people in the photos. My office made me a big poster with polaroids of everyone on it, and one nurse asked if I worked in IT (I do!) just because of the guys in the photos!
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)
Old Sat Mar 16, 2013, 11:52 AM
Owner

One of our most successful decorations was a small bulletin board (maybe the room already has one). Friends and family sent picture postcards to my wife, sometimes one a day, and she put them all up on her bulletin board. It was colorful, didn't take space, and was a regular reminder of the people who were thinking about her.
Old Sat Mar 16, 2013, 09:00 PM

I had a blow up Christmas tree in my room when I was in but it was Christmas time...