Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Sun Jun 8, 2014, 11:37 PM

Magnesium Tips?

Hi,

I am struggling with falling serum magnesium levels as a result of my long-term cyclosporine use. I currently supplement with 750 mg/day of Magnesium oxide, spread out in the morning and evening. Despite this level of supplementation and a current low dosage of cyclosporine, my magnesium is down to 1.3 mg/dl.

Does anyone have advice on foods that may increase (or decrease) magnesium absorption? Also, I would be interested in brands/types of magnesium that may have better absorption.

Thanks in advance for any tips!
Old Mon Jun 9, 2014, 01:52 AM

Hopeful,

I am on 4 grams per day to fight off the effects of Tacrolimus, and maintain a concentration of about 1.9. The items that were recommended to me were nuts and fish.

There are also a couple of decent articles here that covers magnesium absorption and diet:

http://www.ancient-minerals.com/magn...es/absorption/

http://www.ancient-minerals.com/magnesium-sources/

Vitamin D deficiency is mentioned as a possible cause of poor absorption, which is interesting as well.

Hope these help.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.
Old Mon Jun 9, 2014, 06:58 AM

I'm on 2520 Mg a day 840 morning noon & evening they recommend Swiss 420.
Don't know if this helps or not.

Blair
Old Mon Jun 9, 2014, 08:37 AM

Look into more absorbable forms like magnesium glycinate, citrate, taurate or aspartate.

Kirkman labs has a good mag glycinate. There's a good product called Calm that is mag citrate.

Also consider epsom salt baths. Either whole body or just foot baths.

Like Dan stated, nuts are a good source too.

I've used the topical Ancient Minerals but found it irritating to my skin. Some have formulated a topical creams that feel better. I think Kirkman labs has one.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Mon Jun 9, 2014, 06:07 PM

Try magnesium citrate

Hi hopeful

I have had a huge struggle keeping my magnesium levels up due to my tacrolimus intake. I had to go to the hospital every week to get IV magnesium.

The hospital recomended some magnesiumtablets containing magnesium oxide, which I ate for a couple of months. However, they didn't help me at all, and I started a more scientific approach to my problems.

After searching pubmed.org for a couple of hours, I found out that magnesium oxide has a bioavailability of only 4%!!

A much better complex is magnesium citrate. I don't recall the bioavailability, but it was many times better than oxide.

So I found some magnesium citrate on the internet (couldn't find antydning in my country), and ordered it home for testing. And amazingly it works very well! I now have a magnesium level in my blood that is within normal range, even though i take the same amount of tacrolimus as usual.

So I would recomend to try and get some magnesium citrate. And if you do, please let us know if it works for you.

Best of luck
/Rasmus

(Sorry for spelling errors... Autocorrect is set to Danish )
33 y.o. male. Diagnosed with AA february 2013 - h-ATG + cyclosporin. Almost complete recovery but relapse after two months. Diagnosed with hypo-MDS monosomy 7 june 2013. MUD BMT september 2013. Another relapse to AML dec 2014 followed by flag-ida induction chemo and RIC BMT.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2014, 11:18 AM

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

I also have read about the low bioavailability of magnesium oxide, but that is the only form that my doctor recommends. I went to my local health food store and picked up some Mg oxide combined with Mg citrate. I am hoping that will help with the absorption. I also have cut out black tea and increased my water intake to combat the negative effects of cyclosporine on my kidneys. I already take Vitamin D supplements, but should probably recheck that level.

I will continue to eat a lot of nuts, greens, and chocolate and will give the epsom foot baths a try.

I don't think I am ready to cut out the coffee, but am questioning whether I should be washing down my medications with a latte!

I'll let you know how it goes!
Old Wed Jun 11, 2014, 07:48 AM

I noticed a while ago that the itchy foot problem I get from time to time was relieved almost magically by epsom salts foot soaks. I now take this product which comes with instructions on intake on the package. I've asked my doctor about it and he said as long as I did not exceed the RDA he had no issues with the supplementation, i had mag levels checked at my last visit but that was after I had been on supplementation for 6 months and I do not have the results nor a baseline to compare to. Here is the product I use. Natural Vitality Natural Magnesium Calm http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 11:33 AM

Update :)

Less than 2 weeks ago, my Mg was down to 1.3 mg/dl.
I just had it retested and am up to 1.9 mg/dl!

I only increased my supplementation from 750 mg to 900 mg. So, I don't think this was the reason. I am now using different brands of magnesium, one which includes magnesium citrate and oxide. I think the biggest effect may be from cutting out black tea and drinking LOTs of water. Previoiusly, I was drinking water like-a-normal-person because my dosage of cyclosporine is so low. However, I have read (and now seen) that the *duration* of cyclosporine use at any dosage also plays a part in impared Mg reabsorption in the kidney.

The moral of the story: Drink lots of water!