Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 04:11 PM

Regen BioPharma, Inc. HemaXellerate drug candidate for Aplastic Anemia

This was extremely random as I was reading about pharmaceutical stock news and happened to click on AstraZeneca. This was not about AstraZeneca but happened to be in AstraZeneca's news feed in "recent news" since there is a blurb about AstraZeneca at the bottom. I didn't know this work was going on and found it very interesting:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...512842641.html
New Studies & Research Evaluating Stem Cell Therapy Treatments for Bone Marrow Diseases & Conditions Look to Identify Next-Generation Therapies For New Pre-Clinical and Phase I/II Clinical Trials
"Regen BioPharma, Inc. (OTC: RGBP) reported today the successful dosing of mice lacking an immune system in a safety and tolerability study with HemaXellerate, the Company's proprietary aplastic anemia cell therapy drug candidate. The experiment is being conducted under Good Laboratory Practices (cGLP) by Charles River Laboratories. Charles River Laboratories, established in 1947, is well respected NYSE-traded contract research organization with 8,500 employees specializing in a variety of pre-clinical and clinical laboratory services for the pharmaceutical, medical device and biotechnology industries. The purpose of the study is to evaluate whether administration of more than ten-fold the proposed clinical dose of cells in mice on a per weight basis will cause any adverse effects on the experimental mice. The study was conducted in response to the last material question posed by the US Food and Drug Administration ("FDA") to Regen with regard to Regen's proposed clinical trial evaluating HemaXellerate in patients with aplastic anemia."

So I went to Regen's page and found an original article with their hypothesis:
http://www.translational-medicine.co...876-10-231.pdf

From what I can understand the company is asking permission from the FDA to begin clinical trials in humans where they use liposuction to withdraw stromal vascular fraction (SVF) cells from the patient's own adipose (fat) tissue, because the SVF cells contain endothelial cells that can reconstitute hematopoiesis. (Basically the first 7 pages of the paper is the background research they use to justify their hypothesis in the last section on page 8, "Practical use of endothelial cells for stimulation of hematopoietic recovery: hemaxellerate autologous adipose derived cells as a source of endothelial cells.")

I just found this fascinating that this work was going on.

Also, I don't own their stock, which apparently is trading currently at $0.13 per share. (I actually don't own AstraZeneca either, I just like to see what new drugs they're working on.)

Last edited by curlygirl : Mon Jul 27, 2015 at 04:25 PM.
Old Wed Jul 29, 2015, 08:04 AM

Interesting. Thanks for posting.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.