Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Thu Mar 2, 2017, 08:00 PM

Still low platlets

Hi, My husband had his 100 day post transplant biopsy.

No evidence of AML
BM doing well all donor.
Neutraphils, W & R cells low normal
Platelets 12

Dr does not seem worried thinks he has antibody from lots of platelet transfusions and says take it easy & wait...

Any ideas?
Old Sat Mar 4, 2017, 04:19 PM

Similar Situtation

Julieme,
At Day 100, my counts were similar to your husband's except my platelets were low normal. Around Day 188 my platelets took a nose dive down in the single digits. I got platelet transfusions every other or ever third day for about two months. My doctor increased my prednisone. The platelet count climbed back (to 100) up for a while and then took another nose dive to which they have not recovered. He now has me on Rituxan. I have gotten two infusions and have two more to go (spaced out weekly). At that point he says he will evaluate whether the Rituxan is helping or not. So far, it hasn't - I am still getting platelet transfusions every couple days.

I am curious as to what your doctor thinks and what he does. Best of luck to your husband and you.

Data
Old Sat Mar 4, 2017, 11:27 PM

Hi Data,
No platelet transfusions so far. The new marrow is making enough platelets and and they are normal healthy ones. Unfortunately the doctor feels that all my husbands previous transfusions of platelets left him with antibodies that will die out, He is on prednison for a skin rash.

he is at UW Madison Carbone cancer center. Work will cover a cansult at cleveland clinic if we want but the doctor seems to think waiting is the right thing to do at this point.
Cheers
Julie
Old Mon Mar 6, 2017, 11:58 AM

Hi Julieme. A very long time ago, late 1990's I had a blood test done and the dr commented on my platelets being low normal. Fast forward to when I was diagnosed w/ PNH in 2011 and now 5 years after my transplant and my platelets are still low normal. My transplant doc has said more than once that low normal platelets are not that uncommon. Other than red cells twice when was in the hospital getting a transplant I have never had any other transfusions or meds to stimulate call growth. I would also keep in mind that everyone reacts differently to the whole pre and post transplant regimen. The opinion of the transplant doc is probably correct. It sounds as if your husband is mostly doing well.

Mario
Old Fri Mar 24, 2017, 11:39 PM

good news

Platelets up to 37 k