Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 11:18 AM

Angry Bloodwork drama

Why is my husband's bloodwork so insane? Whites low, now up, Hgb normal, now low, platelets all over the map...

I think I need to stop looking at the reports. This disease is giving me a headache.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 12:25 PM

I can understand your frustration. It helps me to track my CBC and CMP results from week to week and month to month. My numbers also have great movement, but the trends make more sense. I would like to ignore some of the results but they do have meaning and I think it is important to find that meaning.

Last edited by bailie : Mon Mar 14, 2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 01:05 AM

I do know that whites will (or should) go up if your body is fighting an infection. They will go down for a bit after a course of antibiotics. Platelets can be affected by vitamin D3 intake.
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 01:14 PM

I guess it depends on how much we are talking about. wbc of plus or minus 400 wouldn't be much in my mind, but I guess I depends also on your own baseline and how often. Mine have been pretty steady, but always dropping overall. Might get a bump improvement but back down again eventually.
Male 56, MDS 2008, pre SCT Hypocellular 5-30%, Normal Cytogenetics. WBC 500, anc 45, Blasts 15%, Platelets 45, HGB 7, RBCC 1.71, HCT 20.5, MCV 120. Became Transfusion dependent 3/2016. 5 cycles VIdaza started 3/14/16 which reduced Blast counts. . Marrow Transplant 9/1/16, Hereditary MDS/AML.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2016, 02:24 PM

I understand you perfectly...
My father started with very low whites, normal platelets and low reds... now, after 8 months, he is taking EPO every 15 days and though reds are Ok and whites are over the top, platelets are now below 10... its frustrating, misleading and so frightening, but for what I see here in other people experiences, this ups and downs are part of the road I guess... We will be seeing the doctor on thursday, hope this time is an UP instead of a DOWN...

Dear bossywife, lets hope the next report shows something a little more stable for us all.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 05:28 PM

Bloodwork Drama

I have had the "ups" and "downs" in my numbers for 12 years. I have also had the BMB which confirmed that I had MDS. My Hemos have been steadfast in merely monitoring my counts. They seem to stay within a range that as of yet does not justify medication. As a result I feel very fortunate.

I am very confident with my Hemos ( I have had three thus far and all have been top notch.

I do not know from your posting as to the current condition of the patient. Is he on a chemo therapy or otherwise or is he merely being monitored as I am. You are correct, this is a terrible disease that there is currently no known cure. I can only suggest that the patient get the best possible care from a first class Cancer Center.