Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Sun Jun 1, 2008, 10:14 PM

youtube video (AA mentioned)

OK, this is a shameless mom brag...

My son was selected to be the Grand Marshall of our parade for donating his bone marrow to his little brother w/ AA.

You can see the video and pictures here:
http://joshuasrecovery.blogspot.com

-Nicole
Old Sun Jun 1, 2008, 11:19 PM
Owner

Brag all you want!

Congratulations to Ian and Joshua. I see from the photos that they were both Grand Marshals, and deservedly so.

Your family also raised awareness and registrations for the bone marrow registry and organized a blood drive, so I think that everyone in your family is a hero!
Old Mon Jun 2, 2008, 05:44 PM

You must be so proud...they are adorable!!! I'm glad he is doing so well & wish you guys all the best!
Old Tue Jul 1, 2008, 06:15 PM
Marrowforums.org

Nicole and her family are featured in the July 2008 AA&MDSIF eBulletin.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 01:14 PM

Cowlitz County Public Forum on illnesses in area

I thought I would let you know there is a meeting up in Longview because of 3 girls who got sick last year. I talked with you previously because my son has AA and I am trying to locate other AA cases in Clark county. Several news stations and reporters will be there to report on the meeting with public health officials. Hopefully, the publicity will ensure the DOH is investigating these illnesses and will finally determine the cause.
If you have any questions give me a call at work (360) 906-4166 or at home (360) 883-9197.
John
Brush Prairie, WA

County to hold cancer forum this week
By The Daily News
The Cowlitz County Health Department will hold a public forum Thursday to discuss community concerns about local leukemia and aplastic anemia cases.
The department was contacted after three young girls at the same school and on the same soccer team were diagnosed with leukemia or aplastic anemia in one year. Health officials determined there aren’t enough overall cases in the county to declare a cancer cluster or merit further study at this time. In addition, the three girls have three separate diseases, making it less likely they’re connected.
Still, parents and others believe there must be some sort of connection.
To answer the public’s questions about the situation, the department decided to hold the public forum. It will be moderated by Dr. Alan Melnick, the county’s acting health officer. Experts from the Southwest Clean Air Agency, state Department of Ecology, state Department of Health, county health department and the Child & Adolescent Clinic will be available to answer questions.
The forum is from 6 to 7:30 p.m. in the Cowlitz PUD Auditorium, 961 12th Ave., Longview.
Related articles:
Soccer team cancer cases prompt health forum (Aug. 22)
Three girls on Robert Gray soccer team contract serious illnesses (Aug. 3)
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 07:20 PM
Owner

The articles John quotes can be read at The Daily News Online:
County to hold cancer forum this week

Soccer team cancer cases prompt health forum

Three girls on Robert Gray soccer team contract serious illnesses
Old Fri Aug 29, 2008, 11:22 AM

I wish we could attend, but we’ve moved to the Seattle area. I’d love to hear the highlights of this meeting and/or links published about it.

I asked our doctors and several nurses about this cluster and they all seem to think that AA, and leukemia occur in communities in “waves” because they think it is caused by a virus. Though, they don’t know for sure, but it’s speculated that it’s a combination of being predisposed for the condition and then contracting the virus. I was told that they see this all of the time!

Any thoughts???

-Nicole
Old Wed Sep 3, 2008, 02:23 PM

AA possibly caused by viruses

Nicole,
When your son was diagnosed with AA the doctors should have performed several genetic and viral tests to determine if his AA could have possibly been caused by a virus. My son Timothy's tests all came back negative for genetic or viral causes. Our doctor at the Seattle Children's Hospital indicated it was possible that it might have been a virus but normally if a virus was the cause his blood counts would have recovered more quickly. It has been 3 1/2 years and his all blood counts are still not within the normal range. The slow progress of his recovery is more indicative of an acute exposure to a toxin. If you use Yahoo or Google do a search for Aplastic Anemia and you will find information on the Public Health Forum conducted in Longview, WA from various TV News stations and local newspapers.
John