Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Sun Sep 2, 2012, 09:37 PM

Dapsone and Aplastic Anemia

After reading Surfergirls post from Friday, I began to wonder if anyone else on the site who has AA, MDS or PNH, recalls taking Dapsone before their symptoms first appeared.

I was on Dapsone for a few weeks after my autologous stem cell transplant to prevent PCP (type of pneumonia). This was just weeks prior to my first AA symptoms so I now wonder if this may be the cause of my AA..

Please share if you experienced this as well...
Old Mon Sep 3, 2012, 10:19 AM

John was on dapsone too. 3X/week only. But I don't think it impacted his BM. However, as our doc said, all antibiotics suppress BM to a degree. And John was on another new one which later showed to cause AA also. So, I have to wonder if that is why he never fully recovered his counts and it's taken a very long time to get to where he's at now.

We will never know.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Tue Sep 4, 2012, 03:47 AM

Almost immediately after ATG treatment, my son Yashar was put on Bactrim to prevent PCP. After learning that it too could cause AA; I asked his doctor about this. I told him I was very uncomfortable w/this new detail I had learned and I wanted him off this med. He then scheduled Yashar for monthly Pentamidine breathing treatments to prevent PCP. It seemed that after removing the Bactrim, Yashar's counts began to rise...
Old Wed Sep 5, 2012, 12:13 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfantle View Post
After reading Surfergirls post from Friday, I began to wonder if anyone else on the site who has AA, MDS or PNH, recalls taking Dapsone before their symptoms first appeared.

I was on Dapsone for a few weeks after my autologous stem cell transplant to prevent PCP (type of pneumonia). This was just weeks prior to my first AA symptoms so I now wonder if this may be the cause of my AA..

Please share if you experienced this as well...
I have been on Dapsone for 13 years and never had any trouble. My counts still are continuing to slowly rise.
45 year old female. Diagnosed with SAA in 1998 at 31 years of age. ATG x2. Eprex. 200 Hgb/platelet transfusions over 14month treatment. Currently still on low dose Cyclosporine/Vasotec/Dapsone. Doing very well.