Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions and Answers Not sure where to post a question? Post it here.

Old Sat Aug 9, 2014, 09:47 AM

Drinking coconut water on a neutropenic diet

Hey guys, looking for some help.

I get mixed reviews when I ask about this and I wondered if anyone new for sure, I am servilely neutropenic (neutrophils 0.06 today) and before I was told about the neutropenic diet I was in and out of hospital every week for fever ect, I now follow the diet very strictly and love coco nut water, I know it is flash pasteurised which I thought made it ok? It's so good for you normally but is it ok when your neutrophils are so low?

I would really appreciate your take on this, I only have 1-2 per week as I know it is full of potassium and don't want to overload but is this ok?

Diagnosed VSAA 4/14 hATG 6/14 waiting waiting waiting.....
Old Sat Aug 9, 2014, 09:55 AM

Ps

Here is some info about it if it helps http://www.planetorganic.com/vita-co...nut-water.html
Old Sat Aug 9, 2014, 12:03 PM

Check out the grams of sugar in the various brands. There is a wide range.

I use it when I work out to eliminate cramps.. No need to add unwanted pounds.
Dallas, Texas - Age 81 - Pure Red Cell Aplasia began March 2005 - Tried IVIG - Then cyclosporine and prednisone. Then Danazol, was added. Then only Danazol . HG reached 16.3 March 2015. Taken off all meds. Facebook PRCA group https://www.facebook.com/groups/PureRedCellAplasia/
Old Sat Aug 9, 2014, 12:44 PM

Hi, yes I'm aware of the sugar, I'm trying to get a balanced but healthy diet just wanted to know if it was safe whilst servilely neutrophinic or if it is something to avoid? So you know if it is? X
Old Sat Aug 9, 2014, 12:54 PM

I am not neutrophinic, so I don't know..

Sorry.
Dallas, Texas - Age 81 - Pure Red Cell Aplasia began March 2005 - Tried IVIG - Then cyclosporine and prednisone. Then Danazol, was added. Then only Danazol . HG reached 16.3 March 2015. Taken off all meds. Facebook PRCA group https://www.facebook.com/groups/PureRedCellAplasia/
Old Sat Aug 9, 2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishbop View Post
...just wanted to know if it was safe whilst servilely neutrophinic or if it is something to avoid? So you know if it is? X
Bishbop,

from the VitiCoco website:

Q: Do you pasteurize this product?

A: Yes, we use a flash pasteurization process. Our machinery uses a patented method to extract the coconut water then filter and flash pasteurize it at 120° for two seconds before packaging the water in its aseptic Tetra Pak package. (As per FDA guidelines, flash pasteurization is mandatory for bottled beverages.) Only Tetra Pak can stabilize and give the coconut water a shelf life of 12 months, allowing us to keep it 100% natural – no additives, no preservatives, and all the healthful benefits.

You should ask your doctor, but I don't see how this would be any different than pasteurized orange juice... Which I know is low microbial and allowed for neutrophinic diets... There are no warnings on the packaging with regards to limitations...

I've actually tried this brand, before transplant, and thought it was pretty good...

All the best , and may God Bless us All...
Married, father of three daughters; now 46; diagnosed w/ Major form MDS 6/18/2013; had low counts across the board; Multiple chromosome abnormalities; Finished 2nd round Dacogen 9/13; SCT - Oct. 31, 2013; Sibling match 10/10 ; 5.5% blasts down to 3%, now 1% (post BMT)
Old Sun Aug 10, 2014, 01:34 AM

My AVERAGE for neuts this year is 0.67 (one spike to 1.2 brought it up from 0.58). I drink unsweetened coconut juice with no problems. I keep away from processed sugar in any form except for fresh and dried fruit and natural unheated honey, otherwise I get a sore throat. Not sure if this info might help?
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.