Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Sat Feb 1, 2014, 11:45 AM

Bone marrow vs peripheral blood stem cell transplant

Hello, I am just wondering what most people are having when they go to transplant for SAA? I know there are 2 ways to go about it, one being directly from the donor's pelvis for the bone marrow and one from the peripheral blood. Anyone have experiences/insight good or bad either way?
Chandra, 40 y/o wife and mother of 2 girls; DX SAA Dec 2013; H-ATG Jan 2014; Prior to ATG:HGB 8.3, HCT 24.3, Platelets 10, WBC 1.9, RBC 2.67, ANC 100; April 30, 2014 matched sibling donor BMT; currently off meds and counts are normal!
Old Sat Feb 1, 2014, 12:00 PM

Chandra,

I'm going to venture and say that now a days, 98% of transplants are SCT from peripheral blood, and not from Bone marrow... (I heard this on a webinar)...

The reason is the health and well being of the donor...

The speaker said that for bone marrow donation, the donor must be sedated and 200 BMA's done (his number not mine) to gather enough marrow...
https://live.blueskybroadcast.com/bs...=1016&CAT=4819 (at the end during qquestions)

The recovery is not minor, while recovery from the neupogen and stem cell donation is relatively minor...

I know that they still do some Bne Marrow Transplants, but as the webinar stated, most are going to be from Sibling matches, who would be willing to undergo the procedure...

Best to you...
Married, father of three daughters; now 46; diagnosed w/ Major form MDS 6/18/2013; had low counts across the board; Multiple chromosome abnormalities; Finished 2nd round Dacogen 9/13; SCT - Oct. 31, 2013; Sibling match 10/10 ; 5.5% blasts down to 3%, now 1% (post BMT)
Old Sat Feb 1, 2014, 03:58 PM

Here is a similat thread on the forums:
http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=4029
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com
Old Sat Feb 1, 2014, 04:39 PM

Whizbang, Thanks for your reply. I had read in Dr Neil Young's(NIH) most recent published paper that bone marrow is the preferred source for AA. My doc is wiling to do it, but just wanted to get some more input. And, of course I don't want my sister who is my match, to go through more than she has to! How are you doing after your transplant? Did they do chemo and immunosuppressants as a preparation for MDS transplant? Or just chemo? Sorry so many questions. I am just trying to wrap my brain around this in case I have to move forward with plan B.
Chandra, 40 y/o wife and mother of 2 girls; DX SAA Dec 2013; H-ATG Jan 2014; Prior to ATG:HGB 8.3, HCT 24.3, Platelets 10, WBC 1.9, RBC 2.67, ANC 100; April 30, 2014 matched sibling donor BMT; currently off meds and counts are normal!
Old Sat Feb 1, 2014, 04:58 PM

We were told by our transplant center that a bone marrow transplant is better for AA patients because of less GVHD.
The patients with leukemia need a little GVHD to keep watch for leukemia cells but AA patients do not need this.

Our transplant doc says that it can be a challenge to get the donor to do this but you can always explain the situation to the donor and help them understand why a bone marrow donation is better.

I have talked with an actual bone marrow donor and the parents. The donor was child at the time of donation who gave for his older sib. Their reply was "it was not as bad as people make it out to be, not that bad at all"

Hope this helps and we wish you the best. You are very fortunate to have a sib match.
Old Sat Feb 1, 2014, 05:02 PM

Chandra,

you can read my full story here:
http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=3792

But I did go through total body irradiation (TBI) - 11 rounds in 4 days (3 per day / 2 last day)

2 rounds of 2 of 2 separate chemo agents + Rabbit ATG (rATG) over 5 days, and one day of rest...

But I'm young, strong and able to handle it...

Plus given my Parents' history of Cancer (Pancreatic / Lung / eye / and Brain) along with my Mothers' Parents history (Prostate and Uterine) all died from their cancers, I think the most agressive choice was called for...

Best of luck, and God Bless...
Married, father of three daughters; now 46; diagnosed w/ Major form MDS 6/18/2013; had low counts across the board; Multiple chromosome abnormalities; Finished 2nd round Dacogen 9/13; SCT - Oct. 31, 2013; Sibling match 10/10 ; 5.5% blasts down to 3%, now 1% (post BMT)