Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Wed Aug 1, 2007, 03:32 PM

Receding Gums and enlarged spleen anyone?

Hello to all subscribers of this most useful MDS forum. My story reads like many of yours do. Until last December I was a healthy 35 yo male with an active lifestyle, cycling at least 5 times per week, racing 100Km plus at the weekends and eating a healthy balanced diet. In January I moved to London to look for contract work and took up temporary accomodation in Barking. During my second week I caught a severe cold but recovered fairly quickly. I was walking long distances around London, attending job interviews and I started noticing a lack of energy, shortness of breath when climbing stairs in the underground stations etc. I thought this was to do with aclimatising to the cold weather and bravely soldiered on. Two weeks later my lymph glands swelled up badly under my neck and I had a constant sore throat and migraine headache. I suspected glandular fever and stayed in bed a couple of days. At the end of February I felt really dizzy and had severe shortage of breath which included chest pains. I couldn't afford to see a doctor as I still didn't have a job and without a permanent address the NHS weren't really interested either. At this stage all I wanted was to see my GP back in South Africa and get some pills to sort out this virus or whatever minor infection it was

I flew back to South Africa from London Heathrow on Friday night the 2nd of March and visited my GP on the following Monday morning. He immediately commented on my anemic presentation (I was as white as a sheet) and on examination noticed my spleen was severly enlarged. My Hb count turned out to be 4.0 and I was admitted to hospital the same day. At this stage MDS wasn't suspected. I had a full blood workup and all my figures were low (I still haven't worked out what all the various statistics mean etc.). I had a bone marrow biopsy from both hips and was treated with blood transfusions in the first three days to get my heamoglobin level up.

The report back on my initial bone marrow biopsies was inconclusive and so another one was performed with additional tests ordered. On receiving the results of the second bone marrow I was diagnosed with Aplastic Anemia and underwent a 7 day chemotherapy treatment with Cyterabine. Recovery from chemo took another 16 days during which time I was give transfusions of platelets, red blood cells and Neupogen injections. I was told that my blood counts should increase naturally if the chemo was effective in killing the faulty bone marrow. My Hb counts declined so I was given another bone marrow biopsy. This showed excessive blast cells and indicated rapid progression to leukemia - Oops!

My doctors weren't convinced and ordered another bone marrow biopsy a week later. The results of this were more stable and my diagnosis now rests at MDS. I am transfusion dependant and generally visit my clinic every 3 weeks now for a transfusion of 2 units of red cells. This boosts my Hb to around 9.3 and I decline down to about 7.3 by the next visit. I am not taking any other form of treatment as my white cell and platelet count are maintained at an acceptable level. My only sibling, my sister was tested as a likely bone marrow donor but unfortunately was not found to be a match. As I have no medical aid, I cannot afford to search the registry for a compatible donor, nor can I afford drug therapies such as Vidaza.

I do have extremely sensitive gums though and they seem to be receding around the base of my teeth. I have to use Listerine mouth wash as brushing is very uncomfortable. This and a permanently sore spleen are my only real complaints. Sure I'm low on energy but at least I have an excuse to be a couch potato now

Does anyone else have this problem with their gums and spleen? Any advice on dealing with the disease will be most welcome.

Lastly thank you to all my wonderful doctors and nursing staff and an especially BIG thank you to all blood donors out there - without you I wouldn't be alive today. I have had over 30 units of blood since this all began and I value every single drop for it's life giving force.

Be brave everyone and give thanks for every moment we are alive and able to appreciate a new sunrise, a clear blue sky, a clourful flower or a bird singing in a tree. How precious life is and how much we all take it for granted when we are healthy.

Sincerely
Kevin Banks
Old Wed Aug 1, 2007, 03:46 PM

Hey Kevin,

Yes,..I can attest to the receding gums..after years in braces and having great teeth..I was told that it was due to my 0 platelet count..who knows..I know that the long term immunosuppressive use can lead to overgrown gums but not recessive. I have extra sensitive gums now and dont get my teeth cleaned on a regular basis anymore. I have not had spleen problems but its certainly not unheard of and have mine checked regularly by my oncologist both here in Fl and at NIH.

Anyway, hope you do some research on the NIH web page. Especially without health insurance ,
all of your treatments would be at no charge if accepted into a clinical trial. The initial flight for diagnosis is usually at your own cost but if accepted your flights will be paid to Bethesda,MD and most of your hotel room will be covered also. You may be able to get reimbursed for the flight out of pocket by AAMDS up to $500.

Wish you well,
Judi

PS Sorry, I forgot the treatment. NIH gave me a mouthwash called Biotene to help kill the bacteria around the gums. It helped some, but I still ended up with gum problems.

Be glad to email with you to help sort out your symptoms and side effects.I feel the same way about all the people who helped me through and the only way I feel I can repay any of it is to pay it forward to other patients who are going through the same, so contact me anytime!!
Judi 46yoa VSAA diagnosed May 2003 ATG/Cyclosporine/mycophenolate treatment complete remission ukn cause. I believe caused by stress while on an antibiotic or an allergic reaction to the antibiotic. I also had ITP about 20 years prior.

Last edited by Jbsx19 : Wed Aug 1, 2007 at 04:05 PM. Reason: forgot the treatment
Old Wed Aug 1, 2007, 06:39 PM

Gums

Hi Kevin

I have had the same problem with my gums. I too used listerine, not sucessfully though. I have been using corsodyl, the taste of this mouthwash is not great, however it works better than listerine and can be bought over the counter at your local pharmacy. Hopefully, you will be smiling and pain free soon

Regards
Anne
Old Thu Aug 2, 2007, 08:37 AM

enlarged spleen

Hi Kevin,
I, too, have an enlarged spleen. In fact, my doc routinely measures my speen when I go for my monthly check-ups prior to receiving Vidaza. I've experienced bleeding gums, but I have not yet noticed that my gums have receeded at all. Like you, I have had to decrease the amount of exercize I am able to do. I am a triathalete who used to spend every day either running, swimming, or biking. I still am able to exercize, but I have to take it a lot easier and skip a day or two in between workouts. Hang in there. I've found that my attitude is my best line of defense.
Kathy
Kathy, 47, diagnosed with MDS IPSS Intermediate Risk, Refractory Anemia and Thrombocytopenia both secondary to MDS. 8/06-treatments include 14 shots Vidaza monthly, aeranesp, neulasta when needed also have polycystic kidney disease