Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transfusions and Iron Overload
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transfusions and Iron Overload Blood and platelet transfusions, iron testing and treatments

Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 05:42 PM

transfusion side effects

Hi,
My husband has become transfusion dependent since he stopped responding to Vidaza. He is on Dacogen now and has had 9 transfusions since the beginning of June.....6 Platelets, and 3 whole blood.

Has anyone ever experianced continuous sweating after a tranfusion? He has been sweating all day. It is not hot in the house, and he doesn't have a temp.

Thanks to all who read and contribute here. You are all in our prayers.
Linda, Wife of Bob, dx REAB-1 19 Jan. 06. Beginning numbers 19% blasts, Vidaza for 10 cycles then stopped responding, as of Apr 07 REAB-T Blasts at 20 (AML). 2 cycles of Dacogen May and June, 3rd in Sep. Counts bottomed out (WBC and Plts). BMB in Oct. showed blasts at 51%. NC
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 11:47 PM
Administrator

Linda,

Extreme sweating after a transfusion could indicate an infection even in the absence of a fever. It's common for people to have a slight fever following a transfusion and sweating can occur when the fever breaks. Night sweats are also common with MDS, but significant sweating throughout the day is a symptom worth reporting to the doctor.

Does Bob have this reaction after every transfusion or only this most recent one?

Regards,
Ruth
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 01:22 PM

I am pretty sure he had it last time, but not as much. We were at the clinic today and I forgot to mention it to the nurse. I guess I should call.
Thanks so much.
Linda, Wife of Bob, dx REAB-1 19 Jan. 06. Beginning numbers 19% blasts, Vidaza for 10 cycles then stopped responding, as of Apr 07 REAB-T Blasts at 20 (AML). 2 cycles of Dacogen May and June, 3rd in Sep. Counts bottomed out (WBC and Plts). BMB in Oct. showed blasts at 51%. NC
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 02:45 PM

Transfusions, Fever, Chills - what is this?

My dad has been experience extreme chills at night and low grade fever with his last two transfusions. He had two separate transfusions last week, 2 pints each, all within the same week. My mother said he gets extremely cold and has chills for no less than 20 minutes. I can't imagine why this is happening - is it normal? This is scary.