Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 05:33 AM

Hepatitis A causing SAA?

Hi all,

Is there a chance of Hepatitis A to cause SAA? I know somebody who had Hepatitis A and after a year, he developed SAA. Has anybody experienced similar case, or do you know somebody with similar case?

Thanks a lot
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 12:15 PM
Owner

Yes, it could be hepatitis-associated aplastic anemia. Suspected causes of acquired aplastic anemia include ionizing radiation, chemotherapy, benzene-based compounds, environmental toxins, and viruses like hepatitis.

Here are some articles than mention the connection:
A Marked Decrease in CD4-Positive Lymphocytes at the Onset of Hepatitis in a Patient With Hepatitis-Associated Aplastic Anemia.

Etiology and survival of aplastic anemia: a study based on clinical investigation.

Billy Kiesel, Texas Musician Overcomes Aplastic Anemia Acquired Through Bout with Hepatitis
Old Sat Aug 17, 2013, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Cuadra View Post
Yes, it could be hepatitis-associated aplastic anemia. Suspected causes of acquired aplastic anemia include ionizing radiation, chemotherapy, benzene-based compounds, environmental toxins, and viruses like hepatitis.

Here are some articles than mention the connection:
A Marked Decrease in CD4-Positive Lymphocytes at the Onset of Hepatitis in a Patient With Hepatitis-Associated Aplastic Anemia.

Etiology and survival of aplastic anemia: a study based on clinical investigation.

Billy Kiesel, Texas Musician Overcomes Aplastic Anemia Acquired Through Bout with Hepatitis
Thank You! So, as I understand, there is no particular treatment for AA when it is caused by hepatitis viruses? I went through the links you shared and patients whose AA was coming from hepatitis got ATG/Cyclo treatment? which is a general treatment for AA...
Old Sat Aug 17, 2013, 09:35 AM
Owner

Yes, it's generally true that the specific cause of aplastic anemia, in the cases where it's known at all, doesn't affect the treatment choice.