Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Drugs and Drug Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs and Drug Treatments ATG, Cyclosporine, Revlimid, Vidaza, Dacogen, ...

Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 11:22 PM

Aranest

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know the side of effects of this medicine (Aranest).Has anyone used it for AA to rebuild their red cells?
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 11:32 PM

Aranese

Hi Every one
This is the correct spelling. Side of this medication? And has anyone used this for AA to rebuild the blood?[u]/U]l
Old Fri Feb 1, 2008, 10:00 AM

Arenesp

You can look at the drug insert at this link.

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/aranesp.htm

John used Procrit, which is basically the same thing, about two years after his treatment. He did not start using it until his reticulocyte percentage reached at least 1.5% because you need to be making a certain amount of red cells in your bone marrow on your own. It acts on the stem cells already committed to the red cell line.

Also, we had his EPO level checked to see how much his kidneys were producing. EPO is body's natural Arenesp. If your EPO levels are over 500, you may not see a response to the drug therapy. But you won't know until you try it and it can take up to 12 weeks before you see a response. Your doctor should monitor your Absolute reticulocyte count and reticulocyte percentage. These are the new red blood cells in your CBC.

Eventually, the procrit stopped being working for his so he discontiued it and remained transfusion free without it.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Sat Feb 2, 2008, 10:16 PM

Aranesp

Hi. I was on Aranesp for about 5 or 6 years. I had no side effects and it did help my red blood cells. So I didn't have to have as many tx's. What a relief that was! But there are possible side effects. Do you get literature with your Aranesp? If not, you can probably ask for some from your pharmacist or Doctor. Otherwise, you can look it up on line.
Connie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccartbmw View Post
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know the side of effects of this medicine (Aranest).Has anyone used it for AA to rebuild their red cells?
Old Mon Feb 4, 2008, 12:56 PM

Aranesp & Procrit

Ken gets Procrit, which as Marlene says, is another synthetic EPO product. Aranesp is the same thing, just longer lasting. Aranesp is normally given every two weeks, whereas Procrit is usually given weekly.

EPO drugs don't work for everyone, and some doctors won't even try it on AA patients because AAers tend to have an overabundance of their own EPO (erythropoeitin) produced by their kidneys in response to the red cell crisis. Our doctor wasn't very optimistic that it would work but decided to try it just in case, and it's helped him a lot with no side effects that we are aware of. Following his first ATG his Hgb got into the 10-11 range before he relapsed, but following the second one it rose to normal range. He's been able to maintain 12.5-13.5 levels while gradually cutting the dose to one fourth what he started out with. Obviously the ATG/cyclo has played a big part in this recovery, but every time we skip the Procrit for very long his Hgb starts to slide downward, so we know that's part of the equation too.

Interestingly enough, we had cause recently to give him an extra dose (we were going on a trip and wanted to "juice him up" before we left so we wouldn't have to travel with the drug) and his platelets suddenly bumped up a full 10k, which he has maintained too. I don't know why his Plts would respond to it at all, and our doctor and pharmacist don't either, but they said that occasionally it does happen that other lines are affected.

I asked our doc about the dangers because I had heard that growth factors can help spur transformations and tumor growth. He said that the risks he was aware of usually arose as a result of using it to push Hgb ABOVE the normal range, and as long as you don't do that he didn't think it was a problem. My impression is that this is a bigger issue with G-CSF/Neupogen than it is with EPO, but it pays to be aware of the possibility.
Old Mon Feb 4, 2008, 11:36 PM

Aranesp

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all of the input on Aranesp. I had my first shot last Friday, I see how it goes. and if my red cells increase.
Thanks ccartbmw